The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research for the APEX system and I'm pretty interested in it. I'm building a 90g reef at the moment (currently building my stand, tank will be BeanAnimal coast to coast overflow). I will only have LPS and soft corals, and nems, at least for a little while. I may do SPS but not for quite some time down the road until I am completely comfortable. My question is, would an APEX with the salinity probe and the PM2 module (I see no use for the APEX GOLD with the ORP probe for myself) be enough for me? I'm getting ReefBreeders Photon LED, so the apex won't be able to control that. I do have TUNZE ATO. (RO/DI plumbed from my basement to my ATO reservoir on first floor so the reservoir is always full) Will the APEX work with the TUNZE? At this point I don't really plan on controlling my wavemakers, but that's subject to change depending what people say. I see no need for the APEX to control my skimmer, mine always runs. I absolutely love the idea of having remote access to my tank at all times, and being able to monitor temp, pH, and salinity. I also like the idea of getting the DOS to do water changes in the future, just to make life that much easier. Any input/suggetsions is greatly appreciated.

-Blair

· Registered
502 Posts
I was going to go with the Apex and ended up with a reef angel because it worked with my drivers and the Apex wouldn't

I love my reef controller and being able to control every aspect with my phone. I wouldn't go back.

If you're going to do it make sure it can control everything you want it to control.

· Premium Member
12,360 Posts
Apex obviously isn't the only controller out there. If you got an itch, go to Neptune Fusion Community. There is a pre order thread that may give you a better feel for the value they offer.

I am a 'student' in the game @ APEX, and am loving every minute of it. It may not be for everyone, but for me, it handles every aspect I need, plus!

Not sure who else offers the auto feed system, but that is a real deal breaker for some.

HTH

· Registered
125 Posts
I've been doing some research for the APEX system and I'm pretty interested in it. I'm building a 90g reef at the moment (currently building my stand, tank will be BeanAnimal coast to coast overflow). I will only have LPS and soft corals, and nems, at least for a little while. I may do SPS but not for quite some time down the road until I am completely comfortable. My question is, would an APEX with the salinity probe and the PM2 module (I see no use for the APEX GOLD with the ORP probe for myself) be enough for me? I'm getting ReefBreeders Photon LED, so the apex won't be able to control that. I do have TUNZE ATO. (RO/DI plumbed from my basement to my ATO reservoir on first floor so the reservoir is always full) Will the APEX work with the TUNZE? At this point I don't really plan on controlling my wavemakers, but that's subject to change depending what people say. I see no need for the APEX to control my skimmer, mine always runs. I absolutely love the idea of having remote access to my tank at all times, and being able to monitor temp, pH, and salinity. I also like the idea of getting the DOS to do water changes in the future, just to make life that much easier. Any input/suggetsions is greatly appreciated.

-Blair
It wont interface with the Osmolator, but you could always plug it into the apex energy bar. I like the multicontrollers for one thing: being able to pick up my phone and know that my tank isn't crashing. That is almost worth their price alone. I like some of the controllers features, however you are right path of not plugging your skimmer or your main system pump into the unit not just because the " no need to control factor but more so what happens if the controller fails???? I know its rare with the apex but I had a AC3 pro unit that decided it needed a firmware update and shut everything down, very sad considering the client demanded that everything, including his return pump, skimmer, lights, tunzes, heater, chiller were run by the AC3

So, I like them for their monitoring capabilities and thats really about it.

Just my .02

· Registered
828 Posts
I have a reefkeeper elite, and just got a new apex for my upcoming tank. so far from playing with the apex, i like it, but it seems more involved than the reefkeeper. I am sure others will chime in. As far as "worth" i guess it depends on perspective and how many bells and whistles you have on your tank.

· Premium Member
12,360 Posts
Glenn

I'm somewhere betwix a luddite and a comfortable internet explorer. What I have found is that there's help outnthere, no matter what system you choose.

I am much more comfortable with codes......programming feeding, leaks, etc, than a couple months ago.

Again, it's up to the individual and his/her needs/affordability/comfort zone.

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I guess at this point I would mainly be getting it for remote monitioring since I am gone for a very large portion of the day usually 12p-2a. And I would also love to be able to pull up a live video feed up the sump area and the tank as I've seen done in the Fusion. I'm sure down the road I would use more options, like for dosing. But to be able to shut something down remotely, in the event something fails, is priceless. I guess for what it's worth I could control the lighting on my sump.

· Officer Tang
828 Posts
The apex is great because of the flexibility. you can monitor and/or control as little or as much as you want. They have new control modules coming out all the time that fit the latest and greatest devices. I like it because Im a tech geek and for me it has unrivaled capabilities if you have the time and budget. I mean, you could very literally have it control everything up to and including automatic water changes.

· Officer Tang
828 Posts
You dont need to be an expert, you need to be patient and willing to learn. If you can troubleshoot online and know the basics of computer software you'll be just fine. Lots of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it it's actually quite convenient because it is the ultimate in flexibility. You tell it exactly what to do...pretty powerful stuff

· Registered
388 Posts
I have a reef keeper from Digital aquatics for about 4 years and have been really happy with it. Digital Aquatics also has a newer system out called Archron which looks good I was thinking about purchasing it for my next tank

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You dont need to be an expert, you need to be patient and willing to learn. If you can troubleshoot online and know the basics of computer software you'll be just fine. Lots of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it it's actually quite convenient because it is the ultimate in flexibility. You tell it exactly what to do...pretty powerful stuff
Absolutely willing to learn, if I wasn't, I sure wouldn't be in this hobby lol. I think starting off basic and moving forward, as I'm doing with my tank in general, would be good.

· Officer Tang
828 Posts
There are certainly a few "plug and play" options that are easier to get going and more basic than the Apex, that's for sure. But if it's one thing I've learned in this hobby it's to get the best, most scalable solution immediately and save yourself the hassle and cost of upgrading down the road when the basic solution no longer meets your more advanced needs.

· Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are certainly a few "plug and play" options that are easier to get going and more basic than the Apex, that's for sure. But if it's one thing I've learned in this hobby it's to get the best, most scalable solution immediately and save yourself the hassle and cost of upgrading down the road when the basic solution no longer meets your more advanced needs.
Well, I'm debating between the APEX and APEX Gold. Not sure if I'll ever have a need of monitoring ORP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.