The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
27,090 Posts
What else do you have in the tank? If you just have corals, your fine. If you have small fish, probably not.

· Retired Wanderer
22,700 Posts
I had one in a 75g with big and small fish. They eventually all got eaten over a six month period. The eel is a messy eater and will eat 7/8 of a silverside, then the rest goes into your tank.

If you want a algae forest with one thing living in it, then get a snowflake eel.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I had one in a 75g with big and small fish. They eventually all got eaten over a six month period. The eel is a messy eater and will eat 7/8 of a silverside, then the rest goes into your tank.

If you want a algae forest with one thing living in it, then get a snowflake eel.
Who says that has to happen with the proper maintenance and care?
a snowflake eel came with my setup when I bought it, he was probably 10in long or so but I didn't keep him long. I did live with him though, it was my buddy's setup. he fed him about once or twice a week and didn't seem to make the tank messy at all. maintenance on this tank was sparse but the eel and a big rock & sand were the only things in the tank. but that's just my experience.

I would say it just depends on what your willing to do to keep a suitable living space for him.

· Reef Junkie
1,544 Posts
Who says that has to happen with the proper maintenance and care?
a snowflake eel came with my setup when I bought it, he was probably 10in long or so but I didn't keep him long. I did live with him though, it was my buddy's setup. he fed him about once or twice a week and didn't seem to make the tank messy at all. maintenance on this tank was sparse but the eel and a big rock & sand were the only things in the tank. but that's just my experience.

I would say it just depends on what your willing to do to keep a suitable living space for him.
I think you missed their point. Your experience is based on a bare system with a fed eel. Phish was speaking of an eel in a system with other fish that will inevitably be attacked and eaten and often not completely hence the mess.

The OP isn't asking about an eel in a tank by itself. Proper care and maintenance won't stop a hungry eel from attacking tankmates.

· Registered
15 Posts
luck of the draw. i had a snow flake eel for ages in a tank and when we shut down tank it went to another tank where it lived a long life. in both tanks there was a mixture of large and small fish in with it. Having said that my brother inlaw brought a snowflake for his tank and even with regular feeding his male clownfish went missing pretty quick. i like eels but im not going to risk it in my tank now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.