The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a F.O.W.LR?

I see most here seem to have larger tanks but this isn't possible for me right now, I'm all out of space!
Can a 29 gallon work with some small fish and a few pounds of live rock and live sand? I'm not into corals or anything fancy, I just like watching fish.
I know the fish stores seem to make it work o.k but I have to assume there's more to those barebottom tanks than it would seem, in the background perhaps...

I won't be able to have a skimmer, sump or refugium or anything like that, it'll just be a regular 29 gallon tank with an eclipse hood and I can buy anything else for addons that I would need.

Is it worth doing or should I not bother? any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer...

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
It is possible, but you have to make sure you are dilligent about your water changes. You also will need to make sure that the fish you select are suited for that size tank. I would at least do some kind of hang on filter that you can run carbon through. You can find them cheap. If you decide you need a skimmer, I have a few for small tanks, used and laying around.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had a 20 gallon set up with an eclipse hood for quite a while before "I saw the light" if you are looking fish only, and get the eclipse with 2 18" flourescents you can keep fish. Make sure you buy live rock that is actually live and cycle it good, or you will go through a really bad algae bloom. The eclipse hoods are alright, but the noise from the pump will drive you crazy. I would recommend buying an aquaclear filter and a small compact flourescent light instead. It will cost about the same as the eclipse, and will provide you with more flexability. The AC110 can be modded to work like a fuge (house chaeto and some rubble) and this would greatly benefit a small tank. The compact flourescent will provide the ability to keep some softies if you wish. Mushrooms, zoas, and xenia should be no problem.

Bi weekly water changes of 10-25% and watching for any sudden changes you should do alright.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Decide what kind of fish you want first. makes no sense to set up a tank and then see what can fit it. If you find out the fish that actually can fit it, wont you will end up getting fish you don't like or convincing yourself its OK to put fish in a death trap ("because I will upgrade some time").

Basically you are looking at Bleenys, gobys, and clown fish. There of course are more difficult fish to keep as well.

Here is a good start.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

but don't forget your inverts, some of them are just as cool as fish (shrimps and stuff).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts