The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
18,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying a new tank soon. I was planning on getting a 125 but the more I look I am leaning toward a nice 210 I found.

The issue is that this tank is 30" deep. I currently have 2 Nova Extreme Pro lights that I want to still use. As many of you know I don't like the shimmer of MH or LED.

So my question is...how deep does T5HO really penetrate? Or, perhaps better phrased, what could I put on my sand bed (favia, acans, brains, clams) in a 30" deep tank with a Nova Extreme Pro light on it?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Depends on how long your arms are.

I can, but I think you are going to need to get a higher bulb. ATI fixture. The nova are not going to cut it. Otherwise, I have seen a few 30" tanks with T5, they were nice.

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
I think ATI bulbs are more eficeint so the make more photons per area than other bulbs. They use higher quality phosphors.

I dont think there is a way to get good PAR deep down without a shimmer. Point sources like LED's and metal halides produce a lot of shimmer, but this can be reduced by having a calm(er) water surface.

My shimmer is crazy and I was skeptical about it at first. Now my eyes barely notice it.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I think it is just a better quality fixture. I know it does better at keeping the bulb temp down and has great ballasts. The reflectors might do a little better but those fixtures have always given MH amount of PAR levels from similar wattages.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I have seen a 30" deep tank with an ATI 10 bulb (800w) fixture and the PAR at the bottom was near 400 PPFD.

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
I personally don't think T5HO is a good idea in a 30" deep tank. Most people won't use T5HO on deeper tanks or they will only keep SPS on the top of their tanks to give them enough light. LED's are the best option for deep tanks, no heat but plenty of power to reach the bottom. I do think that with a 10 bulb fixture you will be able to get enough light penetration with a high end T5HO fixture like an ATI though.
Good luck

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that even at that depth the PAR levels of ATI T5HO bulbs would be comparable to MH. I've seen tanks lit by them at that depth that look great. Plus the added benefit of having more color options.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Now I am a MH guy but some of the ATI fixtures are very nice. I think I would do as much with a 2X 250w set-up as the 800w ATI but that fixture produced some light.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have 6 x 54W on my 125 which is about 24" deep. Bulbs are all ATI and have decent but not great reflectors. I keep clams and nems on the bottom with no issues at all...have had excellent growth...many of my LPS corals I have to shade becuase they bleach out even on the bottom if in full light under all 6 bulbs. On our shallow holding tanks I actually had to remove half of the fixtures because LPS would bleach under T5's, so we only run 2 bulbs over those tanks now. Just like anything, not all T5 setup are created equal. But I think a lot of people underestimate the light output of T5's with good reflectors and good bulbs. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get T5's to work on a 30" tank. You may have to work with placement a bit more but I definitely think it's workable.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
should I talk about my T-12's from wallworld....

not sure on the clams, but corals can do fine with less light, if water quality is kept in check.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward just doing it and like you say, working with placement.

I also thought that I might take PAR readings in my existing tank of each coral and then place them in the new tank at a location with the same PAR reading.

now that's using the old thinker ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts