The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon long aga aquarium that I will be using the middle14" x 8.5" for my refugium...is 110 watts of power compact too much for this application? I only was planning on usinging this lighting because I already own it and they are paid for. My main is a 75 gallon acrylic with dual 250 watt xm 20,000 K bulbs.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have the same tank for my refugium and I run a 65 watt PC over it. 110 watts should be OK, but it is more than you really need. I got a 65 watt PC fixture by Lights of America from Home depot. They are not that expensive and my refugium is growing macro algae like crazy. Anything more is just a waste of energy IMO. PC bulbs are not all that cheap to replace. Before I used the PC bulb on my refuge, I was using a 20 NO grow light. It was also able to grow macro algae well.

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
I'm using a 65W lights of america fixture on my 20L also, but am thinking about 110W PC also. Thing is, when I make the change in lights, I think my philosophy about a refugium will change too, since I'll probably start putting corals in it then!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Your lighting sounds great!! You may want to put a fish or coral in there from time to time for many reasons and the extra lighting will be great!!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.