The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that Iodine is as toxic as chlorine and should never be used in a reef system, yet a majority of the supplements available are Iodine and not Iodide. What are your thoughts regarding these two supplements? Is one better/safer than the other?

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I don't recommend any supplements that are not tested for. With iodine, I don't consider it an important enough element to consider it worth the hassle.

As for the name, Iodide is when iodine it is referred to as a negative ion; such as when it's in a compound. Iodine is the elemental name.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Unless you have a ton of softies, frequent WC will replace all the supplements you need. Test first, then add what your tank is missing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
First of all, they do make a test kit for iodine.....It is an important reef supplement for coralline algae and soft coral repair. The reason you may need a supplement is because the protein skimmer quickly depletes iodine in the closed system. Definatley read more about its balance in saltwater aquariums or ask the experts on this web site. :read:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got a small bottle of this to dose when I get new softies for my tank, seems to help them stress less and they are fully opened again in an hour or two. I got my new leather from a LFS, who is quite rough with them and probably to the horror of many on here, only wraps them in newspaper for transportation.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I still not entirely sure what the differences are between the two even though I've done some reading up on it in the past...I can say that I've used Iodine for soft corals with some very good results...seems to improve colors in soft corals, and works wonders for soft corals that have been bleached...I've seen them regain color/Zooxanthellae very quickly with just a small daily dose of Iodine...I say daily dose because as previously mentioned a good skimmer will remove Iodine in 12-16 hours...and small because I never dose more than a few drops, much less than the manufactures suggested dosage rates.

·
Registered
680 Posts
TYPES OF Iodine by pb3046

Most forum users use Lugol's, Iodoral, or nascent iodine (also called detoxified iodine or Atomidine). Please scroll to the end to read the post on Iodine vs. Iodide.

LUGOL'S

Formulation: Iodine 5% + Potassium
Iodide (KI) 10% in distilled water. Traditionally used over the last 100 years. Stains badly, unpleasant taste, can cause gastric irritation. Can be used orally or applied to skin (painting). A "drop" is 6.5mg and two drops = approximately 12.5 mg (5 mg iodine, 7.5 mg iodide) or equal to 1 tab Iodoral. Due to recent FDA changes, Lugol's is now available in a lesser formulation..

IODORAL

The tablet form of Lugol's (5%). [Formulation: 5 mg iodine + 7.5 mg
Potassium Iodide + colloidal silicon excipient + thin film of pharmaceutical glaze.] 1 tablet = 2 drops Lugol's = 12.5 mg iodine (5 mg iodine + 7.5 mg potassium iodide). Convenient, clean, easy to measure. More expensive than Lugol's

NASCENT IODINE

Atomidine One of the
Edgar Cayce iodines. 1 drop (0.06 mL) = 600 mcg iodine (from Iodine Trichloride).

See IODINE SOURCES for more nascent iodines.

POTASSIUM IODIDE- SSKI

This form is given to protect people from radiation fallout.
Potassium Iodide (KI) Potassium Iodide is a basic salt made of potassium and iodine. Its symbol is KI (K = Potassium, I = Iodine). It is a commonly available supplement and comes in various strengths; e.g., 225 mcg, 32.5 mg, 65 mg. The Iodide form is believed to be particularly useful for the thyroid. It is not the supplement of choice for the breast since the breast prefers “iodine” not “iodide.”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts