The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Red Sea Iodine test kit and some iodine. I have never added liquid iodine to my tank before, I just replenish it with weekly water changes. I just tested my iodine and it says its at 0.09 ppm. Why would it be so high? I have not added any iodine! I made a 30% water change 5 days ago. BTW I have a few corals: 1 kenya tree, 1 frogspawn, 3 mushrooms, and a zoa colony.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe its my protein skimmer (which sucks cuz i have a biocube) apparently skimming removes iodine. without good skimming maybe its not being removed fast enough?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ok, lets get on the same page. according to this Iodine in ocean water is only at 0.064ppm. you are at 0.09. what is the margin for error on the test kit? without knowing the make up water, we are just guessing.

where have you heard that skimming removed iodine? how? the only way iodine would get removed through skimming is if iodine is likely to be bound by some organic in the water column, then removed as the organic sticks to the bubbles. i guess not totally unheard of, but does not seem likely to me. also trying to use a skimmer to remove something that is in the .0 range of ppm is going to be challenging.

why are you testing for iodine?

G~

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Iodine changes forms very quickly in a tank and even if you have the right kit to test the right form that is in your tank, Randy Holmes-Farley has stated many times the the accuracy of the available test kits for iodine and its forms, are not very dependable for accuracy and he wouldn't add based on results of a hobby test kit for it.
Actually, he used to dose iodine for a long time but now says he cannot find a reason for the dosing unless you have a specific type of gorgonian that is not common to our tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts