The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: this is probably an easy question for yall to answer so here it goes...

I have a 29g with a scarlett cleaner shrimp and I want to know what crab types will get along with him and are "reef safe"?

my wifes preferance is toward an emerald crab...i have to particular preferance really...just want a quality scavenger in my sandbed

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
np .. just make sure if you get an emerald he has plenty to eat, or he may start munching on corals. You can also suppliment feed him if he doesnt have enough. If your tank is well established it shouldnt be a problem. Also, they tend to turn white if they are running low on algae and other stuff to eat, so you can have a heads up from that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have an emerald crab and a sally lightfoot crab in my tank. They seem to get along just fine with the 2 cleaner shrimp and the 3 peppermint shrimp.

The emerald crab is very slow. He seems very serious. The sally lightfooot crab is much more active and (I think) adds a bit more personality to the tank.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
np .. just make sure if you get an emerald he has plenty to eat, or he may start munching on corals. You can also suppliment feed him if he doesnt have enough. If your tank is well established it shouldnt be a problem. Also, they tend to turn white if they are running low on algae and other stuff to eat, so you can have a heads up from that.
Is that why my emeralds are whitish? I thought that was when they were going to molt! What exactly is their diet?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
true emeralds eat bubble algae too. you can usually tell them apart by the shape of their claws. normal crabs have pointed claws while emeralds have flattened clamp-like claws.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I also like the emerald crab

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wow glad you guys have good luck with emarlds I have had 3 and they all have turned on my corals after several months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts