The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello TRT! I just had the greatest thing happen to me ever! And its 12:32am where i am!! I found my first ever Nudibranch intruder!!!

As soon as I was about to slumber... I decided to put some RO/DI into my sump just in case the water level doesnt get too low the next morning (or else my pump would go Kaaaa-puhtttt). Fortunently (but unfortunently for my fish i think) my lights were on in the living room. After dumping a cup or two of water... I noticed there was a white thing right under my colt coral. Low and behold it was a white nudibranch. Who was eating my colt coral! Ahhh! I was wondering why there was this little pink ball that looked like a colt coral body parts floating around in my tank sometimes. And now I know why! I have pictures of it inside of a cup. I can't upload it right now but I do have a link with a picture of the type of nudibranch it is.

http://www.nudibranch.com.au/pages/1132a.htm

HEHE. I hope its ok for me to post that here. The irony of this all... is that I saw the little bugger about a week or two ago and shrugged it off as a harmless nudibranch (I was so used to hearing/reading of sponge eating nudibranches or other specialized eaters taht I totally forgot nudibranches can specialize in soft corals too). And then a few days after seeing it, I went to go visit my LFS and they had a leather eating nudibranch in their main display tank too! I think that was a sign for me! haha. My friend who happened to stop by the same time as I, told me that nudibranches can lay eggs in the soft leather. Is this particularly true? I really don't want my colt coral to be a living nudibranch time bomb. If not, would they lay their eggs on something else?

Anyways I wanted to share this enlightening experience to you all. I don't know why... I guess because you're all like family! (even though I don't post much.)
:lol:. Now this makes me want to start doing FW dips (I lack a Q.T.) with every coral piece I buy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure why your excited about finding a coral eating nudi lol.
Theres many specific types that eat corals. Prolly most famous would be the zoa eating nudi's and theyre small and hard to find. I always dip my zoa's in freshwater and never had any but don't recommend doing that with other corals.
As for colt nudi's Ive never seen any but you reminded me of a long time ago I bought a purple gorgonian and it had nudis on it. I kept picking them off but more came. They did lay eggs in like white strings of pearls around the gorg. I lost the gorg but can't remember if it was cuz of the nudis or if I got rid of them. I don't think I did.
Look for eggs which you can try to pull off with tweezers.
I know Ive read even a freshwater dip doesnt get rid of the eggs on zoa's so you have to keep picking nudis and eggs off.

kass

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
nudi's are one of those critters you really want to remove first. they are very specific feeders. most are only able to eat one thing. they also do not like to leave thier food sources, so where you found them is prolly what they are eating.

G~

·
11,345 Posts
Intruders suck.

Ill spare any details but ive had them all and they dont make me smile. Ok, "ALL" is a lie. redbugs, aefws, snail eating flatworms, sundials and a couple different undesirable nudis are the pests that i have became aware of and tried to be rid of. Im not taking for granted that i truly HAVE gotten rid of aefw's yet, although so far so good*knock on wood*

I freshwater/treat/dip everything except for SPS, which go into quarantine treatment for SIX WEEKS. Once youve felt the pain of losing massive amounts of corals to predators and parasites.......its just something you do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah. Im just excited because this is my first time ever catching an un-reef safe animal. I'm only 2 years into the hobby and I have sooo much to find and learn! Thank you guys for the input about nudi eggs.

Dont mean to continue the thread but what is an AEFWS? In fact is there a dedicated page to non-reef friendly animals. I guess I'll have to set up a 10g quartintine tank. Thanks again everyone.

·
11,345 Posts
AEFWS are acro eating flatworms and are the spawn of SATAN.

Flatworm exit is inneffective on them and the majority of them cant be seen with the naked eye, and the ones that are big enough to see take on the color of the coral they are killing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts