The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thats what my wife named our now deceased Mandarin.

Looks great though!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Mandarins are beautiful fish and although I want one real bad in my 80 gallon reef aquarium I reluctantly pass on it! If I had a refugium then I would have one as they require alot of bugs to live or they slowly starve to death! Just my own opinion!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aya i have a 45 gal fuge with an additionsal 100lbs lr just for this. i had been secretly working on for the past 2 weeks. my total lr in my system i well over 200,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as do i, i was suprised that my six line wrasee really harrased this fish for like 30 min, i decided to add some brine and then it stopped but man my six line wrase went nuts when she was added

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the six linr has yet to eat a single pod, he prefers my alge sheets and krill :)
never eaten a single flatworm, WHICH MY NEW FISHY LOVES!!!!!!!
she sat and ate fw all night!

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
9fishers said:
Hey, mnreefman! Im new to this site today. I feel as if I already "know" someone here. :D
Welcome, 9fishers! It's nice to see you here in TRT:)

What a beauty, mnreefman! But I know that mandies are hard-to-keepers.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Beautiful fish indeed, but I don't have one because I know they do not do well i captivity. You are the very first person who I have ever heard that saw a mandarin eat flatworms. This concerns me because so many people who have flatworms will possibly go out and get a mandarin because they think it is a cure for flatworms....when generally they won't eat them and most starve. I may come across as sounding like a "B" but when people post pictures of beautiful fish that are hard to keep in captivity and people oooh and awww at them I just don't feel like a responsible reef keeper if I don't step in and give my opinion that these fish do not do well in captivity. Just my observation and opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am aware of the difficulites that is why i waited a year, and i am absolutly shocked that she is eating flatworms!

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Generally I see the difficulty in keeping a Mandy is making sure they have plenty pods to eat. Other than that from what I've read and witnessed they, friend has a 5 yr old Mandy, they do just fine given proper husbandry techniques.

Btw...NEVER heard of a Mandy eat FW. :eek:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Hey Sally,

This is Ray, I have a mandy that eats flatworms and I have an internal refugium for the pods. However He has never decimated the population in my main tank and I feed him with supplemental rotifers, brine shrimp, zooplankton, etc. So far after 2 years he is going great. I do notice that he has figured out to hang out near the fuge outtakes though. That is where most of pods get swept into the main tank.

Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.