The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i havent had time lately, but now i do, so please let me introduce myself. i have a 46 gallon bowfront that was a cichlid tank for years, but it was never what i wanted, (im sure you all guessed what i wanted) i saved money, and finally im getting my salt tank going well. so far i have the 46gal, 20 gal sump/fuge. growing cheato with a reverse day cycle. css 65 skimmer. about 45lbs of live rock, im using tahitian moon sand (its strange i know, but i had if from the cichlids, baked it in the oven, washed it real good, now im hoping it will seed into live sand) im running a 2x96w pc, just hoping to keep some softies, some real beginner crap. also i have about 35-40 cerith snails, 12 blue leg/red hermits, 2 peppermint shrimp, and 1 pajama cardinal. just picked up a zoo today from the lfs, im looking around to figure out a way to get rid of 2 mojano anenomes. any comments would be great. id like to know what everyone thinks so far, how am i doing for a noob?? and thanks for everyones welcomes in other threads.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Welcome to TRT LD! Now go take a shower! :jester:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Welcome to TRT

You might want to test for copper just to make sure it is not an issue unless you KNOW for sure that the tqank has never been treated with any FW copper-based meds. JennM just made a good case for the issues surrounding the use of such a tank, for which I am not too terribly concerned about if the tnak tests negative for copper after having water in it for a while, but the use of substrate from such a system is DEFINITELY not in your best longterm interests.

Search for the thread using jenn's name and copper.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!! :wavey:

·
Registered
282 Posts
:wavey: WELCOME TO TRT!!!!! :wavey:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to everyone, reefneck, you better watch it, i got my eye on you buddy...

tdwyatt said:
Welcome to TRT

You might want to test for copper just to make sure it is not an issue unless you KNOW for sure that the tqank has never been treated with any FW copper-based meds. JennM just made a good case for the issues surrounding the use of such a tank, for which I am not too terribly concerned about if the tnak tests negative for copper after having water in it for a while, but the use of substrate from such a system is DEFINITELY not in your best longterm interests.

Search for the thread using jenn's name and copper.
i never does my fresh tank, when i emptied the tank, i cleaned it really good with a strong vinegar solution, then again with fresh water, i also baked the sand and washed it really good, so far all my inverts are doing great, so im not worried about cross contamination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts