The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been having trouble keeping sps's from burning. It was suggested that I feed more and change to dry skimming.

In the process of feeding the tank more (fish) I noticed that a problem with some brown slimy type algea dissappeared, been trying to get rid of it by starving the tank, but it just kept growing. Not much algea growth in the tank now. I'm pretty sure you could consider my tank nutrient poor before I started feeding more.

Any ideas of what is going on here, I have an idea, that the normal biological process of ammonia->nitrite->nitrate reduction was some how disrupted and a portion replaced by this slimy algea (cynao-bacteria).

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I did reduce the photoperiod of the MH to 2-4 hours a day. That could have contributed something. 180 watts flourescents the rest of the time.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was brown slimy and it grew on everything. Then it just disintegrated over night almost. I'm glad it's gone but very strange.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
That other site has an online magazine. One of the articles talks about dinoflagellates (sp?). It suggests that some of these dino's can create havoc in our tanks and look very much like algae blooms. Raising the PH, by use of kalk, is a suggested cure, and the cure can be accomplished rather quickly. I'm not sure that this is what you are explaining, but just the same it might be something you might like to read.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks viv I will look into the dinoflagellates, could be what it is, I've noticed a little more growing now. My PH does run on the high side but 8.5 max.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reading through several threads, it appears that they are dinoflagellates. From what I read it was the lighting period change that probally caused thier demise. May need to keep the tank in the dark for a couple of days to make sure they are all gone.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Jim, just curious, do you use one of the Granular ferrous oxide/hydroxides? (Rowaphos or Phosban)

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim, just curious, do you use one of the Granular ferrous oxide/hydroxides? (Rowaphos or Phosban)
No don't use them, have had trouble with them in the past.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
No don't use them, have had trouble with them in the past.
just checking, especially in view of the use of "burning" as a descriptor of your corals, any pix for examples?

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a pic of the burned corals or do you want a pic of the dinoflagellates. I just ordered a 250 watt ballast and bulb.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
jim, I am till not satisfied with the diagnosis if this is a pic of the problem, what does it look like now, and are you still having problems with the burning issue?

Where did that rock come from?

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only a few polyps are still on the digitata, the other coral, type I don't know has mostly died. It appears the tissue between the polyps turns white and the coral slowly dies. I have a new digitata and it does not seem to be bleaching, but has not extended it's polyps today, maybe pissed off since the power went out last night. If the digitata gets worse I'm going to discontinue ozone use. I only want to change one thing at a time. Get in a hurry and change all kinds of things and who knows whats going on.

I still have dinoflagellates. I wonder if they are contributing to the problem. They don't seem to grow on healthy coral tissue though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sorry to ask the question in your thread but would Rowaphos cause the burning. My lone SPS seems to be doing the same thing as your branches are in the pic except I do have a fluidized bed reator using Rowaphos as the media. Just point me in the right directions please.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As for my tank I just got in a new test kit for calcium and my old test would give 400ppm of calcium and the new test shows over 500. I was adding seachem reef advantage. Both test kits are salifert, but one is older. Since calcium is so high I need to measure magnesium since the reef advantage is a combo additive. I still believe I had too much light, but this maybe a secondary problem. I had coral bleaching before adding the reef advantage to bring up calcium levels.

Now I may need to do a bunch of water changes to bring down the calcium levels :freak: possibly adding to the nutrient poor problem.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to ask the question in your thread but would Rowaphos cause the burning. My lone SPS seems to be doing the same thing as your branches are in the pic except I do have a fluidized bed reator using Rowaphos as the media. Just point me in the right directions please.
Rowaphos can add iron to the tank causing iron poisoning. If your running BB then you could also be too nutrient poor with no P at all. I had this problem where even the algae in the refugium died, no algae growth at all. If this is the case then the symbotic's in the sps cannot get enough nutrients to flourish either and die slowly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it is iron poisoning then are water changes the only solution. I basically have no phosphates in the system but I do get algae growth on the glass. Would this also affect polyps or frogspawn? they do not seem to be affected. Also my skimmer has not been working properly.

·
Rotten Kitty
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it is iron poisoning then are water changes the only solution. I basically have no phosphates in the system but I do get algae growth on the glass. Would this also affect polyps or frogspawn? they do not seem to be affected. Also my skimmer has not been working properly.
Phosphate test's are somewhat useless. Phosphate gets bound up in the system. Do you have a sand bed? If so how old is it.

Activated carbon will absorb iron.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts