The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone just waved the latest copy of FAMA under my nose. Specifically, to point out a article by Bob (I wrote everything there is to know about DSB's) Goemans. It's actually a very good article and the most accurate I've seen yet.
There's is one point, seems that Bob is now recommending 1" - 2" sand beds and regular vacuuming and removal of detritus.
Does this mean that Sam (I put up the money to get Bob's stuff published) Gamble is far behind?

Seems like after all these years, are they finally listening to me?
(inside joke, they are my neighbors)

Only one thing I'd like to point out. Bob, stop compromising! I said about 1", not 1" - 2". LOL

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Is Sam still with Pennekamp?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Spanky said:

There's is one point, seems that Bob is now recommending 1" - 2" sand beds and regular vacuuming and removal of detritus.
So how would one go about vacuuming the bed without depleting the infauna?

I've been following the dsb threads with interest as my dsb is about 18 months old, seems to have really matured only to find that I'm harboring a (possible) disaster in waiting.

So how do I vacuum? A large diam vacuum with low suction, or just go after it and consider the loss of infauna as collateral damage?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Re: Interesting gossip

foobuddha said:
So how do I vacuum? A large diam vacuum with low suction, or just go after it and consider the loss of infauna as collateral damage?
I use a Python on my FW DSB. You can adjust it where the flow will remove the detritus but not the sand itself (unless its the silt size sand).

As far as my DSB in my reef, I am no longer concerned with the infauna. I figure if I syphon my DSB on a regular basis, then the infauna just lost their job to my Python:) .
Steve

·
Super Moderator
22,646 Posts
Spanky said:

(inside joke, they are my neighbors)
INTRODUCTIONS WILL be in order,,,,,;) :funny:

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Ain't it funny how the wind blows??? :funny:

I've always used and recommended 3/4" to 1" ;) of substrate. (Excuse me while I gloat a moment - for the last 3 years everybody looked at me like I had 2 heads because I didn't jump on the Southdown wagon.... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)

OH and I've always vacuumed the substrate - and I'd let the waste water stand before I dump it, because somebody suggested that I'd deplete the infauna. Well perhaps I lose a few bacteria on the few grains of sand that get sucked up the pipe, but I have never seen any large amphipods, worms etc. I didn't go dunking for tiny copepods, but given the number that I can see on the glass in the tank, I don't think the population is hurting at all.

You can easily control the flow of a siphon hose by crimping it. Takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Jenn

·
Registered
986 Posts
So this leads to rule out that concept of " benefits from a DSB: nitrification / denitrification / calcium addition"?. It all boils down to Live rock as the sole means of biological filtration and the substrate as only part of your decor ?
That's very interesting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.