The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Very cool. I don't know what to think of these projects. It sounds like a great idea on the surface, but then you find out the thing has toxins that someone says will "leach out over 100 years and pose no threat to marine life". And how much damage did this event inflict on the sea life that now lays underneath it. Yes, it will be a great place to visit at some time, but that will be quite a few years down the road. And that's only if the reefs haven't "boiled" from global warming. It seems like the government may have found a new dump. JMO

·
Registered
626 Posts
Cool. Sinking in 212 feet seems a little deep for recreational divers though. Not sure how tall an aircraft carrier is but it seems to me you would be in 125+ deep water just to get to the deck.

·
Registered
748 Posts
This is for the Nimitz class but I think you get the picture that 212 feet is barely deep enough.

"The height from keel to mast is 244 feet (~74m), the height of a 24 story building. The deck length is 1,092 feet (333 meters), with a width of 252 feet (77 meters). An aircraft carrier can be thought of as a horizontal skyscraper floating on its side."

The deck is about 8 acres (ACK!)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Brandon L said:
I don't know what to think of these projects. It It seems like the government may have found a new dump. JMO

The government and private parties have been sinking ships and forming reefs for many many years. This is not a new idea by any means. Also remember that everything we bury in the ground effects the water too eventually. Personally, I would rather them strip these ships and sink them than to bury them in the land somewhere. At least they form new reefs in the ocean. Also, most ships are sank where their is a need for more reef formation. The impact below would be very minimal. As far as height goes, one of the sailors referred to it as a "small" vessile. Maybe a sight has some specific specs on it. It would be interesting to know.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Dawn

·
Too Busy Fishy
456 Posts
CVA-34
Displacement: 27,100 t.
Length: 888'
Extreme Width: 147'6"
Draft: 31'
Speed: 33 k.
Complement: 3,460
Armament: 8 5"; 14 3"
Aircraft: 80
Class: Oriskany

Couldn't find height from keel to top of superstructure with that quick of a search.
</pre>

·
Registered
626 Posts
You guys are obviously better Googlers than I am! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts