The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I currently have a 29g biocube hqi, and am wanting a place to place my frags (mainly gsp, zoas, ricordea, some frogspawn and various lps on occasion). The plan is to pick up a 15 gallon tank and light it with an old t5 ho fixture that i have laying around. The fixture has 1 current t5 ho 24w actinic bulb and 1 current t5 ho 24w 10k bulb, but I will probably have to buy some new bulbs shortly after setting up the frag tank because I'm not sure how old they are. Anyway, is this fixture adequate for what I am planning on keeping? I will be making a split level frag rack that will allow me to keep various corals at different levels based on their lighting requirements. On to more questions lol.

Should I keep a fish in the tank because I know that fish waste is a very valuable food source for coral?

How will keeping a fish impact my filtration needs?

Will I be able to get by with a couple koralia nanos and no filtration if I keep solely frags in the tank? (relying on weekly water changes)

Barebottom or sand?

Do I need a cuc?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I want to make sure that if I do this I want to do it right. Thanks for all your advice.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
the corals mentioned are eutrophic environment organisms. you will need to keep the nutrient levels elevated just a bit. not to high to grow algae, though algae is also found in these environment, but enough to feed the corals. you do not need fish in the tank, just feeding the tank should be enough to keep the nutrient levels high enough for the corals. without the fish you would not need LR in the system to house more bacteria to keep the nitrogen cycle under control. you will also need to find a siphoning schedule that works for you on keeping the nutrient levels where the corals like. you may find you need to siphon the tank every other week or every three weeks. the corals and the algae will let you know.

i would suggest going BB in order to keep a close eye on exactly how much detritus is in the system. this will allow you to get the eye. you will learn how much detritus looks correct and adjust accordingly. a decent amount of flow is always good, just make sure it is very broad flow and not very fast. you might want to point a power head into a corner and let the corner distribute the flow more diffused.

G~

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
the corals mentioned are eutrophic environment organisms. you will need to keep the nutrient levels elevated just a bit. not to high to grow algae, though algae is also found in these environment, but enough to feed the corals. you do not need fish in the tank, just feeding the tank should be enough to keep the nutrient levels high enough for the corals. without the fish you would not need LR in the system to house more bacteria to keep the nitrogen cycle under control. you will also need to find a siphoning schedule that works for you on keeping the nutrient levels where the corals like. you may find you need to siphon the tank every other week or every three weeks. the corals and the algae will let you know.

i would suggest going BB in order to keep a close eye on exactly how much detritus is in the system. this will allow you to get the eye. you will learn how much detritus looks correct and adjust accordingly. a decent amount of flow is always good, just make sure it is very broad flow and not very fast. you might want to point a power head into a corner and let the corner distribute the flow more diffused.

G~
+1 ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts