The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing out my orig wet/dry drip filter (built myself) in a 29gal sump with a refug. From reading I think thsi is the way to go so my macro algee gets a chance to live (yellow tang goes nuts over everything I put in the 75gal). The question I have is should the skimmer go internal or external? From reading here it seems like most of y'all go internal to the sump. Right now I have a mag9 returning to the tank and a mag7 that was going to supply the skimmer. As I read that also seems like an error on my part. I *think* that I should have the skimmer in-line with the flow into the sump. This is all new to me, right now I have a cheapie store bought skimmer in the sump that constantly causes me problems with the bubble level into the cup. PS. So far I have found about three different ideas on here that I want to try and a few tips that will also come handy. Very nice site. erick..

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Welcome to TRT!It's best to go inline with the intake to the sump,because it takes all the junk out to keep the sump cleaner,which makes the mechanical filter cleaner longer!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome. Put your feet up and make yourself at home.

There are many different ways of running your skimmer. IMO it's a little simpler to run a skimmer that is run from the sump, ie not fed by tank overflow. I have one that sits inside the sump and it works quite well. I've included a few links that should give you some ideas of different ways to run your skimmer. Take your time and see what works for you.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53378
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48060
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49916
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47060

You mentioned that you were having problems keeping a constant bubble level in your skimmer. Do you have any partitions in your sump? I found that if the water level over my skimmer pump was fluctuating (evaporation), I couldn't maintain a constant level in my skimmer. Once I installed a partition in the pump and the water level stabilized, I've barely had to adjust my skimmer and it's running better than ever.

Keep at it and keep asking questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys, and yup my feet are already kicked up ;)

Hydroman, you made an awesome guess at my bubble problem. As the sump water level changed the bubble level changed. Right now I do not have a complex sump. It comprises of a 29gal tank with a home built wet/dry drip filter, skimmer, heater, and a mag9. The wet/dry only has a floss filter and some live rock and the heater is pretty usless in Texas summers.

I am currently planning a new sump and where to place the skimmer (int or ext) was my first bridge to cross. I ended up getting a really good deal on an external skimmer so that question is answered (long story as to how I ended up with it). Anyways, thanks for the links to review, first I am off to the share your tank specs section since I know I'll have more questions as I go through this :rolleyes:

erick..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Having an external skimmer can be really nice because that way it doesn't take up space in the sump. Just as long as it doesn't overflow. I have a little personal experience with that... That said, my next skimmer will be external.

Since you notice a change in the skimmer level when the sump level changes, I recommend installing a partition in the sump. I used some 1/4 acrylic that I had laying around but glass works too. It's, at most, a half day adventure. The longest, and biggest PITA, is removing the sump and getting it cleaned and dried. Then a little silicone and you're good. I think you'll be much happier with how it runs with a partition.

·
11,345 Posts
I agree with hydro wholeheartedly on the partition thing and not only have used that concept with internal skimmer but with external as well, withe the external not so much for depth but to completely isolate the bubbles being released into the sump so you can effectively kill most of them before they even think of heading towards your return. Another idea to control the water level in your in-sump skimmer that kind of kills two, or three birds with one stone is to set up an auto top off so the level in your sump (along with your salinity and other levels)simply wont change that much in the first place AND it will eliminate the need for topping off every 1-3 days to account for evaporation.

As well, i think it is in EVERYBODYS best interest to drilll thier skimmer cup and run a hose to a larger container somewhere out of sight and smell. Whether in sump or out it can be a problem and a little insurance is well worth the effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts