The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reeferis Wannabeus
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a little (stress little!) extra cash lying around and have many reefing needs. Please help me decide my next move. Should I:

1) Refugium

2) Upgrade pitiful RO unit to more GPD and add DI

3) Save cash for lighting upgrade

4) say "bag the reef - let's have a party!"

I'm leaning in one direction (NOT #4!!), and would appreciate some help making up my mind.

TIA

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Bill,
It would help if you'd give us a run-down on what your tank setup is now. I know you have a 55 but how much LR?; skimmer?; lights?; RO?; etc.?

IMHO, after the basic tank system, water quality and lighting are the two critical elements of coral ranching.

You can upgrade most RO units fairly inexpensively by changing the RO membrane to a higher gpd output and adding a DI cartridge. Depending on what you have, that might save you some of that $$$$ toward a lighting upgrade.
Dick:)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Lighting, if nothing else but buying replacement bulbs.

Dick/s comments on quality water and lighting (next to the absolute basix like DSB, good salt, etc) are right on target.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I agree with Dick about the water and lighting. Also unless you actually have a need for the refugium (need it for nutrient export or to produce food for a special fish such as a mandarine) it can wait. If I had found TRT before I got my tank started there are a few things I would have done differently but since I didn't I'm making changes as I can/need. Which of the three things would be best for you (not 4) does depend on your current setup. In addition to knowing what your current hardware is, what current inhabitants do you have?

·
Reeferis Wannabeus
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya know, every time I log on, I see that "Tank Specs" forum and say to myself "I really should post my info there." But, the procrastinator in me says "wait until next time you log on/tommorrow/next week/month/year....."

Quick run down before I DO post on the tank specs:

55 gal, converted wet/dry for sump, 2X55 pc lights at 10,000k, 40 watt NO actinic supplement, 40 lbs. LR, 20 lbs. base rock, 4" DSB (Southdown), SG 1.025, Ph 8.4, Nitrate 15, Ammonia 0, DkH 10, Calcium 425, temp 82. Tank has been up and running for 8 months since the CC to DSB conversion. Livestock include: 2 false percs, 1 lawnmower blenny, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 serpent star, 12 nassarius snails, 3 turbos, 1 fighting conch, dozens of hitchiker snails, lots of bristle worms and mini brittle stars,2 feather dusters, and an active pod pile. 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks, dose with B-Ionic daily and drip limewater for make-up. The Valonia is doing great :rolleyes: and the Halameda is taking over. Feather Calurpa just took off. All softies right now ('shrooms, leathers, zooanthids, capnella, and some other stuff I haven't identified yet). Did I say quick about 20 minutes ago?:D

I know i've forgotten some stuff, but that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks for the input, gang. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Based on your reply about your tank and it's inhabitants I would definately agree with Dick again and go either with more light or the RO/DI unit. From what I know it would seem a toss up as to which would be the best thing for you to do first. I'm going to say go with the RO/DI unit as I don't believe that any of your current tank residents "need" more light than you already have. If I'm wrong then I'm sure there are more than enough people on TRT with more knowledge than I who will correct me... :D

·
Administrator
47,040 Posts
RO and DI with the aglae flourishing you have nutrient available, why not do a cheap fuge and transplant most of the macro in there :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts