The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me some helpful info on sea horses? i would like to have one in my 30gal. tank with my true perc. clownfish.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Ok! Well, first off, a clownfish is not a very good tank mate as they can compete for food and they could be agressive.
A 30g is a great size for seahorses!
If you really want to read up on horses, which I strongly suggest (I don't know how much research you've done). Please go here and create an account so that you can view the forums www.seahorse.org
or you can also go here www.syngnathid.org for more great info! They're both awesome websites with all the answers to your questions; anything from tankmates to illnesses, food to the different species.
You can ask them anything, and there are always the newbie "I want seahorses" posts that are chock full of info as well.
Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
I agree on not putting clowns in the same tank. in the end most fish are going to be out because they will eat all the food or harass the horses. species only is the way to go.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the clownfish has an anemone and he never leaves his anemone even when i feed him he waites for the food to come to him.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
an anemone is a BIG no-no!!! The horses will get stung! Red flag!!!
Nothing that stings at all can be housed with seahorses, period. Anemones, candy cane corals, brains, etc are all on the "no" list. Oh, another thing to avoid are most hermits as they'll grab onto a slow moving horse if it hitches to the wrong spot. I've heard of a seahorse getting the tip of its tail snipped off by an angry crab! The only safe hermits with seahorses are the scarlet reef hermies. Many fish will outcompete your horses for food, and fast moving fish will stress the horses. They really do have their own set of requirements, but if you're willing to set up a horse friendly tank you will be greatly rewarded!
I have a 38g tank with a pair of horses, one firefish, 2 scarlet reef hermies, 3 peppermint shrimp and a dozen or so snails. Xenia, shrooms and zoos.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Vince, I had heard that some cleaner shrimp/seahorse combos just don't work... the shrimp is a little too friendly and it's cleaning habits tend to really stress some horses. Have you had luck, I've been afraid to try, especially with a $30 shrimp!

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
No I have not, But all of the shrimps out there I would try one of them before some of the others, I think a small one would be ok. Have to try. I wanted to try the peppermint and hope they would have babies to help feed the seahorses , have not got any of them yet. I am sorry sbout Bob, I know that had to hurt .

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Thanks.
I have 3 pepp's with my horses and they've never once done anything offensive to the horses... they'll be side by side at feeding time and they totally ignore each other, but I have never seen any of the shrimp carrying eggs yet.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
So, Cowfish? I hope we haven't discouraged you, please let us know if you still plan on horses. We're just trying to dump so much info on you that you need to know is all...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts