The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my powerheads I currently have are getting old and losing power so I am getting ready to change it up. I've seen and heard good things on the Jebao wavemakers and I have some questions for anyone who can answer them.

Would 1 WP40 be sufficient for a 4x2x2 120g tank that has only softies and lps? I do not see myself doing SPS anywhere in the near future so whatever I get only needs to be sufficient for these types of corals. If I could stick with one I would be happy for budget reasons but I would consider getting 2 if it was absolutely necessary. Thanks in advance for the advice and let me know if you need any more info.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I would not try a WP-40 in a 4 foot tank. I tried one in my 5 foot 100G and even at its lowest setting it was way too much for hard corals and would pin softies to the opposite glass.
I use two WP-25's and am not only happy with the flow but the physical size is much more appealing, the 40 is downright huge in a tank that size. I have posted photos of the 40 and 25 side by side with an Evolutions 1400 and Evo Nano 425 several times as well as power consumption data, a search should bring them both up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not try a WP-40 in a 4 foot tank. I tried one in my 5 foot 100G and even at its lowest setting it was way too much for hard corals and would pin softies to the opposite glass.
I use two WP-25's and am not only happy with the flow but the physical size is much more appealing, the 40 is downright huge in a tank that size. I have posted photos of the 40 and 25 side by side with an Evolutions 1400 and Evo Nano 425 several times as well as power consumption data, a search should bring them both up.
So I took your advice as well as those from other forums and got the WP25. The trouble I am having is determining whether the flow is sufficient. The way my rock work is looks like a "U" if you looked down on my tank from above. It seems like there is a few deadspots in the tank, especially in that middle part. I don't know how much experience you have with this but I was wondering if you have any recommendations for the placements and settings of the WP. Right now I have it on W1 and its about middle of the tank and towards the front pointing on an angle to the opposite corner of the tank. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Off the top of my head I don't remember all the settings but I started out with the Speed at S-3 or 50% and worked up to S-1 or 100%. I don't remember which wave setting the speed control works with though. I now run them on Else mode so I get very random flows and you can really see the soft corals swaying in the currents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts