The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I woke up this morning and could not find my Valentini puffer. Then I noticed the protein skimmer was not working properly. so what do you know, he was sucked up. After taking it apart I was able to get him out but he is not in good shape at all. His tail is red when it is usually yellow and he is now lying on the bottom of my tank on his side. He is still able to swim, but I guess he is not strong enough right now. I was told by my LFS to keep him in the tank since here he will be the least stressed out. Although my other fish are very interested, none of them are bothering him. What I really want to know is if you think he will survive? Has this happened to anyone else and what was the outcome?

Thanks
Joe

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

do you have an old guppy breeding box lying around? getting the puffer in an enclosed area would be a good idea if possible. you can use a net and letting it sit in the net, but they are not as comfortable for the fish as just being in an area by itself where it will not have to stress itself about wondering if it is going to be eaten alive by other critters why it tries and heals.

i do not suggest removing it from the tank though. i think the LFS is right about leaving it in the tank to limit the stress. you can poke holes in a reusable food container and float it in the tank as another idea.

G~

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your insight. I don't have have a breeder box or anything like it so I think I'll try the food container thing. Any idea if you think he'll survive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts