The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my clown going on 6 -7 years..in the last few weeks his gills almost look red on the inside, he has labored breathing and I haven't seen him feed in at least a week. I took a sample of water to my fish store and it tested perfect, recommended I raise the temp to 80, which i did...his skin under his mouth is looking thinner also. Any Idea what is going on with him and suggestions on what I can do? :help:

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Well, my first thought is they are estimated to live 6-10 years in the wild. So we may be looking at old age. What is the reason for raising the temp? That would cause any infection to work faster, and would decrease the amount of O2 in the water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it came on him all of a sudden almost overnight. The reason I raised the temp was because I had always assumed that 72-74 was the temp the water was supposed to be(was looking at the 'safe zone' on thermometer), my fish guy told me that it was suppose to be 78-80...at 1st I thought it was fin rot(why the 80 temp was recommended) and his fins have improved since raising the temp. but his gills have not. I am thinking old age also, just hate to lose him. My other clown seems fine...I have been changing 25% of the water every 3rd day, since he's not been looking well, because I read that somewhere else...and I do 75% change every 6 weeks, that is how I've done it for the last 7 years...Thank you for replying

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Any chance you have had ich in the tank in the past? Ich (and other infections) can be harder on the tender membranes of the gills. Though I think if that was the issue and he was that week you would be seeing ich all over the fish.

Any chance there has been a spike in ammonia? Ammonia can burn gills.

Just guessing here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it's Ich, no spots on him, just labored breathing and not feeding, besides his gills being inflamed...I had the water tested last week a couple of days after this started and they said it was perfect...How would an ammonia spike happen? Also how do I know if there is enough oxygen in the water...I have been cleaning the skimmer cup daily. Should I try changing the filter, it was changed my last full water change the end of January. My other clown seems fine..I did turn the temp back down to 78 and my salinity I keep around 1.022.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't lost a fish in 5 years...I did replace my live sand because of bristleworm infestation but that was in Dec.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
An ammonia spike can happen when food for bacteria (ammonia) and bacteria get out of balance. If you did something to greatly reduce bacteria levels or if suddenly there was way more than the bacteria could handle you would get an ammonia spike. That tends to be more systemic, everybody should be showing problems.

There is no readily available way to test O2 levels. Ways exist but it is not something the average hobbiest uses. Generally if you have good water movement, a skimmer, and the tank isn't sitting next to a gas water heater then there shouldn't be a problem.

Any issue from changing the sand would likely have showed up before now I would think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed all my live rock when I changed out the live sand, but I asked my fish guy if live rock was a must for my tank..the only other live things in my tank is another clown , approx 4 yrs old and 2 hermit crabs and 2 sets of clove polyops...but I have noticed what look to be baby shrimp...alot of them small white and almost transparent...I am not sure where they came from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you I will....am considering having my fish guy come to my home and check it out...appreciate the link and the input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts