The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a tank and I get it tomorrow. He said its a 60 gallon but its 48x20x12, so I think its really a 50 gallon. This will be my first saltwater setup. Anyway, it comes with stand, hood, four 54w T-5s, and misc pumps, power heads and filters. I have a 30 gallon I'm going to turn into a sump, and I need to get an overflow and skimmer. So now I'm looking for the best way to set it up on a budget. I was thinking I want about 60lbs of sand and about 60-75 lbs of rock. I was thinking of using non-live sand and getting a bottle of bacteria to seed it. Thought this might save a little money. Also, can you do similar with rock? If so, where would I find some? Ive been looking on Craigslist for some cheap live rock, but havent seen anything near me. Also a cheap place for sand to seed.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got the tank, and they aren't T5s they are PCs. Will 4 65w PCs be good enough for my 50 gallon tank. I want to do mostly soft corals and maybe a hammer. Also, It came with hang on filters and two 802 powerheads for under gravel filters and a few small air pumps and a hang on overflow. The only thing I want to keep is the overflow, but its just the box. What do I do with the rest of the stuff? I could put it on Craigslist, but I hate dealing with that.

· Registered
562 Posts
Those lights should be good for soft corals and a hammer placed a little higher than usual. The undergravel filter, and air pumps you should put on craigslist. Youre going to have to get a sump, either a cheap tubberware, custom made (theres a lot of good info online about them, or premade.) Youre also going to want to look into getting a nice in sump skimmer, and welcome to TRT!

· Registered
74 Posts
I found two different people selling live rock right out of their aquariums on Craigslist. I had to drive an hour and a half to each one but when you get awesome cured rock for $2.00/pound it is almost impossible to beat.

· Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
welcome to TRT!!

when i did my upgrade from my 20g to my 55g, i used a couple of 2 pound pieces of the LR (live rock) in my 20g and bought a box of dry rock from marco rocks. i got 27 pounds for 45 bux. i went with the key largo dry rock. it was a good way to get rock, on the cheaper side, but probably not the cheapest route. if you want to see the stuff just google marco rock.

please share pics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.