The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finelly did it, I bought a brand new all glass 150gal. tank. It measures 72"x18"x28" and after much consideration I went with 2 corner overflows. It is due to be delivered on 7-3-13 and I can.t wait. My wife and I decided to put it in the wall between the livingroom and what is to become my study viewable from both sides. I will have to dust off my saws-all and tear my house apart, whoopee!!!!! I will be posting pics of this of this install as I go along. I will be calling on the masses for their input and suggestions. I plan to use the 48" Outer Orbit fixture I just bought to illuminate the center of the tank with the 2 250 halides and 4 T-5s. I am going to try to leave the ends darker for my suns and ect, keeping the main body for my nem and some new sps and poss. maxima clam gradually moving my low light corals off to the sides. I'll be back with pics on the 4th of July,I'm going to call it Independence. Also will have to look into sumps, pumps and all the other inerds. It's a good thing that I have a lot of sparetime to research my options. Thanks for reading and hope you follow along so I don't screw this up.:fireworks:

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I was referring to that big beautiful girl fish in your tank. Gorgeous, but what a bioload!

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I finally got the "honey do" list done and my sons wedding is all set so I can get back to my tank build. I picked up a 55gal at Petco's $1 a gallon sale that I've planed to make into a sump/refugeium/setteling tank. Lately I have considered just buying one but it seems hard to justify $350-500 for one,am I missing something? They seem pretty straight foreward. Is there a formula or design that needs to be followed? I see a pair of filter socks,a bulkhead that is elevated an inch or so off the bottom,another bulkhead an inch or so away from the first closed off to the bottom and allowing a spill over to the center chamber a third bulkhead the same as the second one allowing placement of a skimmer, and a fourth one again about an inch off the bottom,and a final one allowing a spill over to the return chamber. Do they need a top on any of the chambers? I've seen some with and some without tops.
At this time I don't want a sandbed or macro algae but rather a settleing area that's easy to access and clean out but I would like to keep that option open.I have looked at the Aqueon Pro-Flex model 4 and read the reviews, which were all good in comparision shopping.
I do have a friend who owns a glass shop in town and was thinking of having him do it or at least cut the pieces. Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 214 Posts