The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to posting to Trt, I have had fresh water tanks over the years and have always made "Inclosed" Filtering systems. But here is where my question for all of you is.

In the system that i have drawn out via auto cad i have two remote deep sand beds(Which i have never used before), with one hole at the top and no dedicated exit line. My reasoning being that the sand bed diffuses the water deeper for the process to make the N2 and this will raise the layer where that bacteria starts. Will this cause my water to "Compound" and have extremely little to no flow in the bed or is this fine being that it is working on negative pressure? (the pump is pulling the water from the system not forcing it through.)

Sadly i can not post the picture nor link to the system drawing.

Any advice/comments will be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TRT!

we have something in discussion right now about alternative DSB, you may want to drop by, its getting good :D
Thanks! it is very interesting, i am going to follow this and see where it goes. Though there are differences in our ideas it's interesting to think of a vertical sand bed.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
what if, instead of having one intake/outake, you have the out take be on the bottom, and have the whole water volume pass through it, instead of having more of a by pass system.

and instead of having that charchoal filter, we put a very low micron sediment filter, or even a settling tank to catch any debris that could end up in the DSB that would foul it with PO4.

any one see any contradictions to this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wouldn't the output at the bottom pull to much water through and not create the low o2 levels i'm looking for? and the valves are a great idea, i was originally going to put them in but i wasn't completely sure.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
The sand would go right down the pipe. Anything fine enough to block the sand would block too much water movement.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
ok, now wait. wouldnt we be able to reverse it? have the input on the bottom? then have a strong enough pump to keep it all from collapsing in?

or what about having the input on one side, just above the sand, then the out put on the other side/on top a few inches higher than the intake, that way some water would be forced down by hitting the other wall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that is the basis of the bucket RDSB i believe. My issue with that is i want to make this all out of PVC so that it can handle what i need it to and if there is an outage i don't have worry about it flooding too. I believe what your suggesting would indeed work but it will be a bit harder, though the more i think about it the more i believe it will be for the best if i do it that way. No such thing as too much trouble for the fishes right?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
if you are able to keep it clear of detritus, I think it would be an excellent breeding ground for bacteria. But that is the issue, keeping it clear of detritus. I think you will have to go with a very fine sediment filter (probably .2 microns or less if they have them) / vertex chamber (or both) in order for this to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe i have figured out something for that issue, i am currently working on the cad Drawing to incorporate it. I'll post it when i finish it, to see what you all think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Though i do think that i should incorporate a micron filter in the first chamber. i just don't know the sizes off hand to make it accurate. The hole in the dsb is where it connects to the one next to it, and the input is in the right bed but the output is in the left bed while the bridge between the two is in the middle causing a "Splashing" Effect as it hits the wall and seeks the second bed.

Micron filter would be in the second chamber right after the "Pressure" chamber.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts