The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pink spotted goby came out of hiding last night and positioned itself in the aquarium corner. This morning he is in the same area of the aquarium.

I tried to tempt him to eat mysis shrimp and shreaded raw defrosted shrimp. I didn't see him eat anything.

He is opening and shutting his mouth but I don't see sand coming out of his gills. His coloration is bright (pink and blues showing easily - which usually is seen after he eats).

We have a couple of emerald crabs in the tank and they get around the other occupants and push them around. I have seen the goby usually in a cavern before and the no longer there as an emerald crab was seen there more often.

One emerald crab came past him last night and I watched very closely to see if it was trying to eat him. It may have nipped his tail but the goby turned to face the crab and it moved on by. So I don't think the crab is feeding on the goby.

I cannot see bloody gills or mucus layers or sandy/sugary grains - the only symptoms I know to look for.

Typically the goby will breathe while resting with his mouth ajar. He seems to be opening and shutting it some more frequently than usual.

Tank parameters are stable for the tank:
Temp 76
Nitrates 2.5
pH 8.0
salinity 1.025

I have freshed up the 10 gallon SW QT and have cupramine on hand. If the goby starts turning on its side or showing some symptom that I can recognize, I'll move him to QT and treat with copper treatment (cupramine).

I'll bring in a SW water change but this is going to take some time as everything outside is very cold. Even boiling 4 cups of the water and re-adding it to the change container will take some time.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With daytime lights on tank, goby has moved to back side. He is still out of the caverns which is unusual for him to stay visible for long periods of time.

Should I strive to keep emerald crabs very well fed?

·
Registered
311 Posts
pics are a good way to give some visual indication of a problem, but i have no real idea either what it could be. you might google fish disease and see if anything matches the indications. sorry i could not help, not realy my storng area.... mabe if things continue someone might be able to help on saterday,

·
Registered
36 Posts
My pink spotted goby do the same thing from time to time. One time I thought it was about dead so I put it in my sump for a few days and if was fine. don't know if it's sick or not. been like this for a little more then 2 months. as for the emerald crabs, they are good alge eater but will sometime attack fish. I think one go my last goby.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The goby became a bit more active today, moving from place to place periodically but he stayed visible (unusual for him). Eventually he began to rest on his side. I moved him into the SW QT treated with cupramine. It seemed to me that he died within a minute.

I'm guessing that he was almost dead when I transferred him.

Guesses:
(1) Attacked by other tank inhabitant - suspicious of emerald crab - injured
(2) Power of water motion and my moving around sand uncovered something that was not healthy for the goby
(3) Goby got illness and I couldn't see symptoms and therefore didn't know treatment
(4) Goby was old and died of old age, natural causes

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would say that the transfer stress was to much for him. Matching water exactly is realy hard and it is best to fill a quarintine tank with water from the main tank during a water change... The water motion thing is a stretch and attack from a crab is very likely.. A sick fish is attacked more easily and if he was being botherd after getting sick and then moved the stress was very high. Crabs are always a risk and when they start tearing appart your favorite clam it will realy get to you....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts