The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased a 300gallon reef ready tank. Yay for me right. HA i wish. Now comes the lengthy task of getting the equipment to do this right. The tanks dimensions are 96x30x24. I know i'm going to need 2 48"mh/pc combo fixtures. A sump with a much bigger protien skimmer, refugium lighting, and a good water pump. As well as a calcium reactor because i want to grow some calcium sucking corals in there. I know I'm missing a bunch of equipment, so can anyone help me to know what all I need to start this tank properly?

·
11,345 Posts
First things first.......you need to figure out your space constraints.....underneath or do you ahve an adjoining room to use???

I use a closet for one tank and the garage for another.....not for sumps but for co2 tanks and chillers and a skimmer for one of them......if you CAN use an adjoing room or closet or basement it makes things a WHOLE lot easier...a little more money up front but the convenience is priceless.....

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Might want to check out the Large Systems section of TRT. See some nice examples in there of how others set up their large systems.

http://thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=176

You'll also definitely need a CLS (closed Loop system). So you may end up needing a few good pumps.

As for skimmers and Ca reactors, make sure you check out Andy's stuff over at http://myreefcreations.com . He has great customer service, and makes HIGH quality products. Almost all his equipment is upgradable!!! That means if you think you need more power down the road, you don't have to toss the $300 piece of equip you just bought. Instead, you add an $80 riser to the skimmer, or another chamber to your Ca reactor, etc. HIGHLY recommend his stuff!!

as for the lighting, I'd got with 2 48" MH with VHO, instead of PC's. The MH/VHO combo looks best, in my opinion. Plus VHO bulbs are cheaper, and need changed less often!

Keep coming back with more questions, and we'll help as best we can!

Congrats on the tank! Can't wait to see that bad-boy set up!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
WOW I'm jealous, would love to have a tank that size - - keep us posted!

HHC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts