The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Jay,
It might still take me 3 weeks to get this thing up and running, but all that is left is to add the baffles to the sump, buy the salt, and flip a couple switches.

BTW, the cabinet face is in the garage drying right now. I took the first one off, and rebuilt it, so that I could have a larger pair of cabinet doors. The dark edge around the top of the tank is going to be covered with crown molding.

Im pretty happy with it, thanks everyone for poking and proding me along.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
looking great dave!!!!!

i like that yours has a wider top cabinet than mine, due to the shorter tank length.

mine is gonna be pretty cramped top and bottom. not to mention, you actually have a full base underneath to use. i lost half mine to the fuge :(

i'm planning to bring it inside next week... that's the plan anyway. but that'll depend on whether the new pump gets replaced or not, (see other thread :angry:)

anyway, we're both coming down to the wire!! good to see!! you have a few advantages still though. i dont have a sump yet, nor my return and skimmer pump. plus, mine is still in the garage, and trying to figure out the easiest way to bring it in :rolleyes: not ot mention tear down the 55 sitting in the space now.

keep us posted dave!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup,
In fact I have decided to just close off the line to the fuge until I can get something bought/built that is drilled. The thing is roomy has heck....for the last two weeks I had a laundry basket in one side just to keep the baby from crawling in ( doors should help on that end).

I have to section off the 20g so I don't have so many bubbles making it to the skimmer pump, or the return pump.....I was going to cut my own, but I am afraid of tearing it up, or messing up my new saw, so I am just going to have it cut at the store, and pay a bit more. I still have to get hardware for the doors and what-not, but its pretty close to done as is.

I was going to order 60 lbs of base rock from www.reeferrocks.com, but I see now that marine depot has 44lbs fiji shipped for like 165, so i think I will go that route, as the reeferrocks guy has uped his price and now wants almost 110 dollars for the dead base rock. Ill just get 44lbs live from Marine depot, and some base rock from the local LFS....then I can get a show piece or two from Premium later in the cycle.

I hope to have the salt purchased next Friday, (next shippment comes in at LFS). I'll pick up a hydrometer while I am there, and I will be set. In the mean time I will start making water in 30g trash cans......so I won't have to do the sit wait, dump, sit wait dump, for quite so long.

So, unless something serious happens I should be crossing the line on Sunday.............quick question though when is it considered "done"? When it has water....? When it has its first fish/coral? We could end up having a controversy on this race for those person betting on the outcome...(RA you know who you are).

Dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lol that's an easy answer dave.. the race is done when i get one step ahead... doesnt matter which step.. :funny:

i noticed that hirocks upped their price on the 50lbs order. but hadn't noticed an increase at reeferrocks. they were like 1.25 a pound, but then also added shipping costs too.

the hirocks prices are 1.33 pp for the 60 pound shipment. and 1.40 pp for the 30 pound shipment.. so i think they are still vastly cheaper, though i dont know what the shipping charges are at reeferrocks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW for anyone looking at this pic, the sand bed will be removed before filling the tank. I will have about 1" of sand in the main, and it will be mostly hidden by the stand, as it comes up about 1" on the tank....

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
and a full cycle. and fish. and diatom bloom, and cyano bloom. and then torn down and the 8' tank started..... that's when the race will be over :funny:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.