The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen a tank pic posted here with a wavemaking plumbing setup that used pvc pipe hidden in the dsb and 2 small pumps to move water about. great idea!
my tank being empty, it seemed to be the perfect time to plan and construct one as well, and include a spraybar placed behind the rockscape. i will replace the "T" fittings with a scwd devices, and power it with a magdrive 350 pump. all i need now is the pump and scwd devices....
:cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Not to jump in on your thread...but I don't see any holes drilled for a closed loop...you gonna run the feed and return over the side? If so i might have to think about doing the same for myself. I never thought about running a closed loop in this manner but I kinda like the idea....any negatives that anyone has on this?

Dave

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reefdave, no issue here, wouldn't have posted it if i didn't want input. the pvc on the bottom will be covered with a 3" layer of sand, the pvc against the back will be covered with live rock. everything should be hidden from sight. eveything is inside the tank, no need for extra holes to be drilled. i had thought about using a check valve and plumbing the sump return into it, but would hate to clean up the mess if it ever failed to work right.
i also figured out how my sump is suppose to operate. i had always thought of the baffle flow went in the other direction, now after seeing my skimmer, i see how its suppose to be hooked up now.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
cromagnum.. looks SWEET!! i'm planning on doign something silimar to mine. i was goign to have the back drilled a bunch, but i'm sort of nervous. i figure if they break the side no big deal it can be chepaly replced. but if htey break the back ooooooo

mine will be setup ver similar, but i will have my cls pump siting down inside my overflow box. the intake will be at the top of the overflow, and then will output through the side of the overflow into the various tubes.

i wanted ot do it from the outside so that i could install ball valves on all the ports, but may not do it.

i like the way you set that up, very cool!!

also, thanks posting that pic of your sump. i've been killing myslef trying to figure out exactly where i wanted to put the baffles and separaters in place. now i have a good idea :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cool!!! I like that idea for my setup. :D
You may want to consider buying a bigger pump, though.
I see a lot of bends, elbows, etc. that a mag 350 might not deliver at every point you want.
I tested a Mag 2 for a top off setup, no lift, only length (~ 2-3 ft) and the water stream wasn't very much.
I would expect that the flow form a Mag 350 would go thru the shortest, easiest path.
I would also suggest reducing diameter of the stubs in the circles. Those restrictions will force more water to the other end (it will balance flow a certain much)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spaced at 3.5", the baffles are 5" wide by 6" tall, and are gap'd at 3". the final gap is only 1.5" that flows into the first collection area. jay, i've attached a side shot of the sump, hope this helps you out more!

grazhopr, you are right, the all outputs need to have some type reducer on all to build up alittle back pressure and control the flow. the angled outputs won't be cemented together, this will allow me to change the direction of the flow pattern.
peace!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skimma

well, looks like i'll need to get creative with pvc pipe in order to get this protien skimmer plumbed up! i may drill a new return hole on the side and cap the original, or just keep it next to the sump, and keep the tank and stand further away from the wall.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it fits just right in this position, and it would be 10x easier just to drill a 2.5"~3" hole in the back of the stand and slide the fitting thru and backaround to the sump with 2" pvc fittings. if i did this, would it weaken the stand any?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No kidding. Did you DIY this stuff or did someone leave you a large inheritance?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tpeck & mnreefgeek, no, i didn't win the lotto (though, i do need to check my numbers!). so far, i've gotten some great deals, saving me quite abit of $$$ on some serious custom acrylic equipment. hopefully i have the pumps this weekend!
tpeck, see ya soon?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Im still really liking that internal closed loop.

Quick question for you or anyone else. Suppose I want to "plan" for this down the road, but don't want to shell out for a mag 4 or 5 right now......would it cause any problems that you see in adding all the piping for the closed loop and adding the pump in a couple months? My only concern would be critters inhabbiting the plumbing, but im guessing they would all get out pretty quick...might also start quite a sand storm that first time you turned on the pump, but that would still be during the live rock cycle phase....

How big of a pump would you folks recomend for a similar set-up spanning a 36" X 18" tank, with about 5 out lets. Also I would consider putting my openings up higher in the rock work would that be a problem?

Dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
cromagnum... most people dont even have backs on thier stands. none of mine do, not even the new big one. the 2x4's are the strcuture supports. the plywood is jsut there to make it look nice.

a few 2 inch holes in the skin are not gonna hurt at all.

dave: i se no problem with building it now, though i would just pick up a few endcaps for the outlets, to prevent anything (sand, critters, etc..) from filling it up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
ReefDave said:
adding all the piping for the closed loop and adding the pump in a couple months? My only concern would be critters inhabbiting the plumbing
That's what I plan to do later this fall! Just use some slip cap's like "thefatman" stated to cap off the plumbing. Then add the pump later on! :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts