The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am ready to add some live stock and wanted to add some shrip and snails maybe a Urchin.

i have a 125 gallon tank and about 200lbs of live rock. just woundering what kinda of shirp and snails to add and how many?

thanks garret

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Thats all based on what you want them to do. If you want a good sand stirring snail that will eat leftovers. Nassarious snail. If you want something that will mow down algae off your rocks, Turbos. I would get peppermint shrimps......I had a coral banded shrimp, but he ate all my other shrimps that I put in there. If your going to do an urchin, realize that they will eat corraline. Or at least they did in my tank. My pencil urchin devoured my corraline. You could always get a pincushin urchin, they are cool.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How old is the tank? Any other fish in it?

I would start with snails. If theres nothing in the tank, start with like 50. All different kinds, but around 50 or so. Then if you feel the tank needs more, food left behind, algea, etc, add more.

Shrimp are another story. What kinda fish you plan to have. If you want shrimp, that excludes some fish. Otherwise, there's all different kinds. I love Peppermints, Blood Cleaners, and Skunk cleaners. In my 135 I have a couple of Peppermints, and will add a pair of Skunks soon.

In any case, research, research, research before you buy. Look at site like liveaquria to get and idea of what appeals to your eye, then see if it fit in your tank plans.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tank has been up and running for 2 weeks had the live rock cooking for 6 weeks prior in plastic tubs. all the live rock was bought from other reefers that had it in their thanks for years so it is coverd with corraline and it hasnt been out of water for but 1 or 2 mins. i am going BB so can i still have shrimp? as to fish nothing yet and probaly for a few months.

·
Registered
180 Posts
tank has been up and running for 2 weeks had the live rock cooking for 6 weeks prior in plastic tubs. all the live rock was bought from other reefers that had it in their thanks for years so it is coverd with corraline and it hasnt been out of water for but 1 or 2 mins. i am going BB so can i still have shrimp? as to fish nothing yet and probaly for a few months.
Im BB and I have shrimp.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i have two pepps in my tank and all they do is hang upside down on the rocks until night, then they scour the rocks, so i dont think barebottom will matter. sounds like an awsome tank, got pics?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
i would make sure the tank is cycled before you add anything if you been running for two weeks and havent added the LR yet your tank might not have fully cycled

·
Registered
180 Posts
He said the rock was cooked for 6 weeks prior and it was cycled rock as well. Id test your parameters just to be sure. And test before you add anything new.

But Triggers are no-go with shrimp. Some say the Blue Jaw are reef safe. Some wrasses, and kinda puffer really. Just research the fish before you buy them. Obvioulsy wanna stay with reef safe, hardy fish, if you are planning on corals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so even know the live rock was in a established tank it will cycle again? ive see people here just take rock out of one tank and to a new one and go no waiting??? dont mean to be rude just a question.

·
Registered
180 Posts
so even know the live rock was in a established tank it will cycle again? ive see people here just take rock out of one tank and to a new one and go no waiting??? dont mean to be rude just a question.
It can cause a somewhat of a cycle. You never know what the rock, well the life in the rock, goes though during transport even if its just across town. Test your params and thatll tell you if your ready or not. There is nothing else that can.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
what kinda of fish dont get along with the shrimp or vis versa? i will have pictures of the tank up tommrow. trying to get the kids to bed. here is the link to my biuld therad http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f7/new-to-the-salt-water-world-133500.html .
i agree, you should make double sure your cycled, inverts are much more sensitive to unfavorable tank conditions. this is dificult to be sure of, i know, mine was marked by a pretty prominent diatom bloom. as a rule, the longer you can wait to add livestock the better of you will be while the tank stabalizes.

you can always throw a dead shrimp in and see if you get an ammonia spike. this is what i used to cycle my tank.

as for fish, tangs are really nice tank mates i think. they are reef safe and good algae eaters. i keep clowns, chromis, and a watchman goby.
a couple of naso tangs, some clarki clowns, or gold stripe maroon clowns(they get a bit bigger)but remember if this is a reef tank it may be to your benefit to keep fewer fish than in a FO tank. it will keep the nutrients to a minimum which in turn will keep phosphates and other undesireble things out of your tank, like HA.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so add the rock and creat a structor and then let it run and test everyday and see how things go.

are their any snails or shrimps to stay away from with corals?

·
Registered
180 Posts
so add the rock and creat a structor and then let it run and test everyday and see how things go.

The rocks not in it yet? Get the rock in and let it sit for 1 week. Then start testing. Youll see Ammonia go up, then Nitrates go up. When Ammonia and Nitrates goes down and stays down, your ready to slowly add stuff. Some people will tell you to test for Nitrites also, but I feel its unnecessary because you know whats its going to turn into anyway. I have better ways to spend my $13. To each his own though.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts

i have heard that bumble bee snails would mess with soft corals, and i had some in my tank but my blue legged hermits became blue legged bumble bee hermits long before i ever had a chance to find out.:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have heard that bumble bee snails would mess with soft corals, and i had some in my tank but my blue legged hermits became blue legged bumble bee hermits long before i ever had a chance to find out.:D

Ive had a Bumble Bee snail in my tank for almost 2 years. While I have heard the same thing about them being bad, I have not had any problems. Its only 1 BB snail right now though. I wont be adding anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts