The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a css 65. it skims great. but as i get it dialed in nice, so that its pulling nice and dark, ill check it the next day and it started skimming really wet. and overflows all that gunk back into my sump. it doesnt do it all the time, but it has done it 2 or 3 times. i cant figure out why, no temp changes, no other fluctuations that i can detect. i have noticed that it happens sometimes when i feed emerald entree, or when i do a water change. are these why? ill turn it down, then slowly it will drop its skimming level, so i have to turn it up a little, then one day BAM! over flow. any ideas??

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
zxcv123 said:
Well the addition of chemicals, freshly mixed slat water, and most foods increase the surface tension of the water and make the skimmer go crazy
Yup, this is true but I think some skimmers are just cursed! Mine had no ryme or reason to its madness, no pattern, it would just spazz and flood.

Robert

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
But Robert, There is always an explanation for the "skimmer go crazy"
My bak pak flodded when I dosed with water conditionedr, did a h20 change and didnt let the h2o sit over night, of simetimes if I feed large ammounts.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
My first skimmer would flood when nothing had been done to the tank, no changes or anything. Day, night, rain or shine. It would get the itch and go. Ive never dosed chemicals except Ca (when I got the MR-2) and feeding didnt make it flood, it would slow it down.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I got the same skimmer, I have to adjust it about once a week but it hasn't overflowed (yet). For some reason, the other day, it was skimming really wet and I adjusted it, maybe it would have overflowed if I wasn't there to fix it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hng said:
I got the same skimmer, I have to adjust it about once a week but it hasn't overflowed (yet). For some reason, the other day, it was skimming really wet and I adjusted it, maybe it would have overflowed if I wasn't there to fix it.
same thing here man, i bet you just lucked out and caught it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys, im building up a 20, and im putting the 65 on it. so im gonna upgrade the main skimmer on my tank, i was thinking the asm (i think thats it) or a remora, but sell me on this MR2, im up for suggestions, but i dont have a bottomless pocket. i also want something big enough to put on a 72gallon bow, with 20 skimmer when i finally get the chance to go bigger.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the 220 on a 125 tank and I find when I do water changes or anything to the tank I am adjusting it, it did fill up twice since I've had it, but I figured it was my misadjustment, but I do check it often.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts