The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today, i got my 2 pumps, both a mag-drive 950 and 700gpm pump! i used 3/4" uninions and ball valves and tip them 3/4" barbs. i considered hard plumbing the pump return to the tank, but have decided against it for now. the 700 will return to the tank, while the 900 is dedicated to the protien skimmer.
unfortunately, it appears i won't be able to keep the protien skimmer under the stand as i orginally intended. so, when i build my canopy, i will include an addition 10" to the width, and make side panels to enclosed the back of the tank. but, in making the back extend out farther, i get an additional benefit of allowing me the room to fit the co2 tank behind the stand also! who knows, maybe when these pumps wear out, i can upgrade to enhiems or better.
:cool:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fat pipes

today, i made my first attempt at connecting up the skimmer to the sump, nothing is glued yet. i actually had to rotate the sump 180 degrees in order to make it fit like this. otherwise, the length of the gate valve and union fittings would have stuck the skimmer completely outside the stand! with the sump in this position, the return pump is placed directly below and in-line with the tank return. the long union will allow me to me to keep the skimmer closer, and when removed, allow access to the pumps.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the big return of the skimmer!

looking down, you can see that the skimmer is resting on a concrete block as a temp. riser, so that creates a 3" drop back into the sump. the gate valve controls the volume of water in the skimmer to be cleaned. gotta have a gate valve:D

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
A gate valve on the return of a skimmer isn't "really" necessary.... When the power to the pump stops, all the water will settle in the bottom of the skimmer, through the pump until the water level is even with that of the sump....

·
Registered
96 Posts
wow!!!

Just got back in town....LOOKS GREAT....thanks for help on making the CL system. How did the frags make it?

By the way, I got off plane, walked in door, only to find both tank pumps to chiller and CL system seized. And my doser, dosing my carpet.....Welcome Home to my nice relaxing hobby:) . Can't wait it get external pump.

Got to say again I am green with envy at how your new system is coming along.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey tpeck, sorry to read about your incident! the frags are doing better, xenia didn't look too good, but are coming around, and the fuzzy shroom look great! how is everything doing in your tank?
today i picked up a new hangon refugium, i still need to get this drilled and mount 2 flanges for the in and out. plus have the brackets glued on also.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Cro
Hold the presses! Only one thing I see before you glue. I would change that ball valve on the skimmer to a gate valve. Ball valves are hard to fine tune. Also, they reduce more than a gate valve and would be more likely to catch bubbles, making your water level in the skimmer go up and down and be harder to keep adjusted.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
much appreciated jerel! saw one at the lfs for 50 bucks, i though this would work just the same, my bad. will head over there tomarrow or so and get it.
thx again!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh yeah:dance: my korallin kalk reactor arrived today along with the pressure regulator! all i just need now are the lights and controller! oh yeah:dance:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey elgordoinavw, much appreciated! soon as i saw it at the lfs, i new i wanted it! its bigger than my current aquafuge18, and will have plent of room for it behind the tank. i will need to have a 1¾" hole drilled in the bottom of the intake side of the 'fuge and a 1¾" hole drilled 3" from the top of the outlet, so it can be fed up from a pump in the sump and a gravity fed dump back into the tank. and speaking of tank, the regulator for my co2 tank arrived with the ca reactor i ordered from premium aquatics yesterday! now i just need to select a controller, most likely a simple ph controller should work.
peace!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just ordered a pinpoint ph controller! it should go well with my new set up! just need the lights now, currently waiting on a responce from pet supply liquidators to see how much it will cost to retrofit a 47" dual hqi fixture with what i have currently!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
small change in plans! took back the 24"long refugium, and got a larger refugium the measures 34"long instead, and got the correct gate valve for my skimmer, now i just need to find my hd receipt to take back the ball valve i purchased earlier in the week.
enjoy the weekend everyone!
peace....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.