The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Reefer Man
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somy land lord calls me up and starts telling me about her friend who was away on vacation. one of the pipes in her house started to leak. to make ashort story shorter, she had 50,000 in damages as well as some bad mold. her insurance did not cover any of it. your probably wondering about now, how does this make you feel bad steve.

well here we go. im not alowed to have a pit bull, rotwieler, doberman, trampoline, or fish tanks with more than 5 gal. i told here i would get renters insurance, NOPE. i can keep it in the garage or sell:eek:

im going to sell on ebay contents of 55 and 29. 60 ish lbs of lovely purple rock, and about 75 ish lbs of sand. o dont forget the ton of critters, corals and one clown. its a d*#m shame. im very bummed out. let me know if anybody here might be interested. i would rather someone from TRT have them than ebay.

sincerely a realy bummed out dude.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
As a long time member of TRT I am very sorry to hear of your news!:(

I made certain that I could have a fish tank in my apartment before moving in! When they said water bed was ok I was happy!:D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I second the 'move' vote...
I know that's probably not in the cards, but I doubt I could ever live in a place managed by a draconian landlord.

I would call your landlord back up and tell her that you're planning on moving due to the new 'rules' (even if you aren't). If you're a good tenant then you might buy yourself a little leeway if they don't want you to move.

After all, it's not your fault that your landlord's friend is clueless (or that your landlord is basing her decisions on her friends cluelessness). :D

Sorry to hear about that though... my reef is like my third child... there's no way I'd get rid of it.

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Steve, that is so wrong man:(
Have you checked your lease to see if these iexclusions were in place before your moved in? If so unfortunatley you prolly have no recourse, but if not I would contact the local housing authority or whoever controls rental issues. If it wasn't specifically denied at the time you signed rental/lease agreement they should have to accept a rider covering damages on your renters insurance. Good luck with this bud, I hope it works out OK for you

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Absolutely, check your lease/rental agreement. Do you have one? Some people still don't even in this day and age. Give her a little time to cool off and then politely and respectfully- but in writing- give her a proposal that includes rental insurance, deposit, maybe even a non-refundable fee. If there were no restrictions on pets or aquariums in your original agreement, make sure you point that out in the letter as well. Don't threaten in this letter-save it for the next one :D If you're on a *lease* she can't change the terms on you; if you are on a month-to-month agreement, she can change the terms with a notice of whatever time-frame is allowed in your state. (Usually between 20-30 days.)

Good luck,

Alice

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I'm with Alice and Doug - you've got rights and unless you've got a history of causing damage - there is no reasonable reason to make you get rid of your tanks unless there was a clause in your lease agreement.

Even with the clause, most times it doesn't become an issue unless there is leakage/damage.... and that's when insurance comes in handy.

I had a no waterbed lease years ago, and we had a waterbed (so did my friends who lived in the building before I moved in) and we had multiple tanks. We also had water escape rider on our tenants insurance. Did not need to use it, but it was comforting to have it there.

Jenn

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
That is a major bummer. When my building was sold last fall, I was really worried that the new owners wouldn't let me keep my aquarium (the former owner said it was okay to have a "little" aquarium). Luckily, I didn't spring the question until they were in my apartment during building inspection, and once they were enthralled with peering in, I told them that I hoped having the aquarium(s) wouldn't be a problem.......they were fine with it.

I'd definitely check your lease agreement. Also, you can contact your local legal aid office. They will help you interpret the landlord/tenant laws for your state.

Jodi

·
Registered
680 Posts
StellaMN said:

I'd definitely check your lease agreement. Also, you can contact your local legal aid office. They will help you interpret the landlord/tenant laws for your state.

Jodi
I agree to also check your lease! If there's nothing in there about fish tanks or waterbeds you could argue it! Also if nothing was stated in the original lease agreement & the landlord still says you can't have one this would break your lease with them so you could MOVE! And not be held liable for the lease!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i also add to the lease vote. if the lease did not originally state no fish tanks, then she cant jump in and change it now.

i would highly recommend checking it, and contacting a lawyer if needed. she doesnt have the right to bully the fish out simply because she wants too.

she would have the right to ammend the lease if you choose to renew it. but in it's current state and term, she can't change it.

(i used to manage a street of duplexes before going to ibm) i know the laws surrounding renting. (in ohio anyway :D)

on the other hand, if all else fails, let me know on the rock, before going to ebay... but.... check out the lease/lawyer first, cuz if i buy it, you aint gettin it back :funny:

·
Reefer Man
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately my landlord is a really sweet old lady who gives us a screaming deal. She owns this house and hers and is worried.
We have no contract or renters agreement with her. Here’s were I feel stupid.
Im still trying to talk to her about it. She’s not mean; it’s just that she is stubborn

so my stuff aint for sale yet, there is still a chance.:idea:

Attachments

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Steve price an aquarium rider for the tanks on renters policy, and see how much it costs. Sounds like she got stuck big time for damages on the other place and is looking to limit her liability. If she sees you are serious about being responsible she may relent. Good deal on housing is great but it would be a shame to have to give up your reef after all this time :(
Good Luck bud

1 - 15 of 15 Posts