The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
i have always been very interested in marine life and I have recently been thinking a lot about trying to start up my own tank. I have been trying to do a lot of reseach. I would prefer to start with the smallest I could. I would really like to get some True Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula). Maybe just one or two of the fish and them some simple live rock or reef. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best size tank and eqipment I could get for this. I know they are not the easiest fish but i would not take it lightly. Thank you very much for any help

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
:hismiley: Welcome to TRT. You've come to the right place. There are a ton of rally good people here that can help you out.

My suggestions would be to get the largest tank you can reasonably afford and have space for. The smaller the tank, the harder they are to take care for.

Only buy quality equipment. In this hobby a bargain usually isn't such a bargain. The equipment you will need depends on what you want to keep in the tank.

The first question you will need to ask yourself is, what do you want to keep in this tank. Trust me, you will not be able to keep just a pair of perculas. Once the tank is up and running you will want to buy every critter in the store.:funny:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Welcome Elegance point alot out smaller tanks though smaller require more care and can crash very fast also i hear 55g-75g arent bad starter tanks not overly large but large enough for stable water for someone just starting

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
A couple more things:funny: Like TJ said. A 75 is a really good solid tank. They're fairly stable as far as water quality goes, and you have enough room to aquascape it the way you want.

All of us, no matter how long we have been at this, fall to the temptation of the spur of the moment purchases. Try to avoid this. Especially first starting out. If you ask questions here before you spend your money it will save you a ton of trouble.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
:hismiley: Welcome to TRT. You've come to the right place. There are a ton of rally good people here that can help you out.

My suggestions would be to get the largest tank you can reasonably afford and have space for. The smaller the tank, the harder they are to take care for.

Only buy quality equipment. In this hobby a bargain usually isn't such a bargain. The equipment you will need depends on what you want to keep in the tank.

The first question you will need to ask yourself is, what do you want to keep in this tank. Trust me, you will not be able to keep just a pair of perculas. Once the tank is up and running you will want to buy every critter in the store.:funny:
i agree with ec it comes down to how much you are ready to spend and what you want to keep

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
lol I can tell you right now i could own a new tank completely on what i have wasted on buying products i didnt look up before buying

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
lol I can tell you right now i could own a new tank completely on what i have wasted on buying products i didnt look up before buying
lol... i could have done a tank 2 or 3 times the size with the money i wasted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys! yeah as soon as im about to start making my purchases i will be sure to ask your opinions on them... and also i cannot find a store around my area that deals with reef tanks or materials so i was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the best website in your opinions to order from? thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
thanks guys! yeah as soon as im about to start making my purchases i will be sure to ask your opinions on them... and also i cannot find a store around my area that deals with reef tanks or materials so i was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the best website in your opinions to order from? thanks
I've heard liveaquaria.com is very good and I would love to order from them but they do not ship livestock out of the USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been reading that ocellaris clownfish are much easier to handle and are recomennded for beginners. what do you guys think about nano reef tanks? and specifically what size would it have to be to be considered "nano"? and would it be big enough for one or two ocellaris?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I have been reading that ocellaris clownfish are much easier to handle and are recomennded for beginners. what do you guys think about nano reef tanks? and specifically what size would it have to be to be considered "nano"? and would it be big enough for one or two ocellaris?
i have 1 maroon clown in a 14gal biocube

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
As everyone said, with a smaller amount of water its very hard to keep water parameters right and the tank can crash very easily. The only 2 points i have on clowns is 1. Keep the temperature right, i lost 4 clowns before adding a heater and now the first one i got with a heater i have had for about 2 months and he is very happy. 2. I suggest adding them last, i believe they are in the same family as damsels? and can be very territorial, so adding them last would be a wise choice. I agree on starting with a larger tank since its alot easier to keep water parameters correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts