The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scouring their site (LiveAquaria.com) for weeks looking for things that they say are easy or moderate to care for and most are non-aggressive so I can house them near each other (one thing is on the aggressive side but I plan to put him in the one corner away from everybody else)... Here's what i'm getting:

Glove Polyp, Assorted
Blue Ridge Coral
Purple Passion Tree Coral
Silver Branch Pumping Xenia (really excited about this one, I love xenia! Want to get a pink one too)
Taro Tree Coral
Indigo Digitata Coral
Blue Bottlebrush
Scripps Acropora millepora
Slipper / Tongue Coral (this one is aggressive)

I hope they all sound OK together... As I said, I tried to find things that someone who is a reef beginner could care for and should all be able to go together... Hope I made intelligent choices...

I've saved all the info for each one and chose them according to the needs stated on the site as well (water movment, lighting, etc)... But, do you all have any additional advice for me?

I also got a bunch of snails as well so I'll have some activity going on in the tank (along with the bristle worms who come out of hiding during feeding time, I'm strange I guess, I like my bristle worms [but then, I liked the altipista til I found out they aren't exactly good for the tank])

Thanks,
Babs

·
11,345 Posts
You went with a good site. They will take care of you. Keep the tongue away from everything and the list looks good. The only one that jumps out at me is the bottlebrush. It is going to want decent light and GOOD flow. Im not saying you dont have it, just saying that is the most demanding coral on your list IMO

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The millepora is also an SPS...what is your flow and lighting set up? From what I understand you need T5s or MH for those to do well, and 25x plus turnover of water in your tank.

As far as ordering online, I wouldn't worry...ask yourself how the livestock got to the LFS store in the first place? all you are doing by ordering online is reducing the number of trips your livestock makes (ocean -> etailer -> you vs. ocean -> distributor -> LFS -> you). I had a sea cucumber dead on arrival from etropicals (owned by the same ppl as liveaquaria) and I called them up and received a refund, no questions asked.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only one that jumps out at me is the bottlebrush. It is going to want decent light and GOOD flow.
I have 2 circulating powerheads in the tank giving 1 area strong alternating flow that is at the top of the tank... Metal halide bulb the fishtank dealer said I'd need if I wanted corals... If I have to I can get another (though it cost me over $250) on my next paycheck...

Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The millepora is also an SPS...what is your flow and lighting set up? From what I understand you need T5s or MH for those to do well, and 25x plus turnover of water in your tank.
I don't know what the turnover is, not sure how to tell... I have the Aqua C Nano skimmer with an AquaClear 70 powerhead, a SeaClone skimmer that now houses some mangrove trees (been wracking my brain trying to think of a way to use that stupid thing because I didn't want to toss it but I didn't want to inflict it upon someone else), plus a AquaClear50 powerhead w/ an oscillating head on it and a pump that came with the nano tank also w/ an oscillating head on it...

How do I find out what the turnover is?

As far as ordering online, I wouldn't worry...ask yourself how the livestock got to the LFS store in the first place? all you are doing by ordering online is reducing the number of trips your livestock makes (ocean -> etailer -> you vs. ocean -> distributor -> LFS -> you). I had a sea cucumber dead on arrival from etropicals (owned by the same ppl as liveaquaria) and I called them up and received a refund, no questions asked.
What does LFS stand for? Live Fish Store? I figure if I get my corals from the fish store downtown it was one added step in the process so I'm hoping this'll mean less stress on them...

Thanks for the advice ya'll, you're making me feel better..
:)

Babs

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Have Ordered Over 10 Times From Them They Are Great!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
I don't know what the turnover is, not sure how to tell... I have the Aqua C Nano skimmer with an AquaClear 70 powerhead, a SeaClone skimmer that now houses some mangrove trees (been wracking my brain trying to think of a way to use that stupid thing because I didn't want to toss it but I didn't want to inflict it upon someone else), plus a AquaClear50 powerhead w/ an oscillating head on it and a pump that came with the nano tank also w/ an oscillating head on it...

What does LFS stand for? Live Fish Store? I figure if I get my corals from the fish store downtown it was one added step in the process so I'm hoping this'll mean less stress on them...

Thanks for the advice ya'll, you're making me feel better..
:)

Babs

LFS =local fish store...

also any millipora requires very High Light and ALOT of flow....I learned the hard way...so just make sure you have them 2 things and you should be ok!

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
also turnover if rated from your pumps(return and in tank) I have 4 tunze @ 3100 gph and my return is 1800 gph so I have about 14000 gph turnover in my tank its a 210 gallon

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What is your tank size, turnover is just how many times your pumps cycle the water volume in your tank. So if you have a 20 gallon tank, and your return is 200 gph (gallon per hour), and you have two 200 gph powerheads, that is 600 gph total for a 20 gallon tank = 30x turnover (put another way, the total gph divided by tank size - 600/20).

Close, local fish store (although i suppose it could stand for whatever you want it to). so you figured right...

oh also important, how big is your tank...if its 100g, that isnt that much to add, but if you are adding all this at once to a nano, it is a lot to do at once...you might think about cancelling part of the order, but at the least should monitor ammonia, nitrate, etc. after adding and be ready to do water changes if your levels spike.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
also turnover if rated from your pumps(return and in tank) I have 4 tunze @ 3100 gph and my return is 1800 gph so I have about 14000 gph turnover in my tank its a 210 gallon

That is some insane flow!

I have 2 Tunze 6045s @ 1200 gph each and a Mag 9.5 @ 800-900 gph for ~3200 gph on my 118g. As it is I feel like I'm blowing some stuff away...not sure I could fit more (altho my tank is 4 ft. wide...on a 6 ft(or 8 ft?) 210 im sure you can do much more).

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
like a minature hurricane in the tank...lol...the corals love it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
good til they are swimming in front of a tunze pump and the controller goes from 30% to 100% then the boys & girls go flying across the tank....and yes I have about 20 fish...including 5 tangs!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is your tank size, turnover is just how many times your pumps cycle the water volume in your tank. So if you have a 20 gallon tank, and your return is 200 gph (gallon per hour), and you have two 200 gph powerheads, that is 600 gph total for a 20 gallon tank = 30x turnover (put another way, the total gph divided by tank size - 600/20).
Oh yeah, duh.. One powerhead states it is 400gph (but is connected to skimmer)... The other states it is 250gph (connected to skimmer)... The one in the tank w/ oscillation is 250gph... Don't know what the pump is the pulls the water through the sponges in the back of the nano but it's stronger than the 250gph...

Close, local fish store (although i suppose it could stand for whatever you want it to). so you figured right...

oh also important, how big is your tank...if its 100g, that isnt that much to add, but if you are adding all this at once to a nano, it is a lot to do at once...you might think about cancelling part of the order, but at the least should monitor ammonia, nitrate, etc. after adding and be ready to do water changes if your levels spike.
Gasp! No, don't tell me I did a boo-boo... I did ask others how many corals they thought I could add to my 29gal nano and some said 15, some said 6, so I figured 9 would be OK... Crapolla... I have tons of water ready for changes if need be... I'm doing my scheduled water change tonight anyway which will be a few days before the corals get here...

Should I test daily then?

Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good til they are swimming in front of a tunze pump and the controller goes from 30% to 100% then the boys & girls go flying across the tank....and yes I have about 20 fish...including 5 tangs!
heh, I bet they enjoy the ride!
Babs

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
like a minature hurricane in the tank...lol...the corals love it.
Question on this comment... Do you turn them off to feed the corals/fish? If I don't turn my pumps off the food just blows off the corals I have already...

Babs

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Indigo Digitata Coral
Blue Bottlebrush
Scripps Acropora millepora

these are the only If's...they will soak up alot of calcium especially in a 29 gallon...I have 1 acro and 2 montis in a 20 but do 4 gallon weekly wc's and I just added them after about a year of being setup....They like a pretty established tank..just make sure you check your alk & calcium and try to keep them consistant.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Question on this comment... Do you turn them off to feed the corals/fish? If I don't turn my pumps off the food just blows off the corals I have already...

Babs

I have a 7095 controller for my Tunze it has a feeder button on it and shuts off for 10 minutes then starts back automatically....I also turn off my Retun pump to keep the food in the main show tank..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts