The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not a big move, just across town but i was thinking i would take this opportunity since im gonna have to take the tank apart to cook my old rocks as well as some new ones i plan to buy (maybe 30-40 lbs., i have 45 in a 55 gal. tank) since im getting some nuisance algae lately. Also, i want to get the tank drilled because my overflow box is a pain. I would really love to upgrade to a larger RR tank but i dont have the money right now, so im just gonna keep the 55. My problem is obviously i would have to take the sand out of the tank to get it drilled. Could there be a problem in disrupting the sand bed? its about 2"-3" deep.
Thanks!:)

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
agreed. Toss the SB.

Maybe keep a cup of it to seed the new sand...

but other than that, not worth the risk.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
problem isn't so much replacing it, as not risking any toxin's being brought into the water column by stirring it up and then putting water back in.

Not to mention, SB's are nutrient absorbers. If not cleaned properly, over time, they can fill up with nutrients, prompting algae outbreaks. Unless maintained precisely, they need changed every few years anyways...so why not just do it now, while the tank's being dismantled anyways?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts