The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LFS has a deal on Haitian LR which was normally selling for $11 a pound. But I head that it isn't as porous as Figi rock.

IYO which is the ideal rock?

I'm talking about filtration and cleanliness (not holding Phosphates), not so much appearance although it would be my second priority.

I don't want to skimp on LR if it makes for a successful tank, but if it doesn't matter so much then maybe I will save the $.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
"Ideal rock"? As porous as possible. After that, it all comes down to preference. Haitian rock doesn't seem to be as porous but some people prefer the looks of it. In the end, you have to look at it everyday so it has to be something you enjoy looking at. The best rock in the world isn't any good if you can't stand the sight of it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
search local. Craigslist.org....bought 130lbs of nice stuff for $3 a lb.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
when looking for "used" LR, be prepared to have to purge it for several months before you can actually use it. most likely "used" LR is completely full of phosphates instead of mostly full of phosphates like the LR you will get from the supplier.

i prefer to use dry base rock. that way i know exactly what is going into the tank. plus the fact that the LR kind of purges itself the first couple of months of setup while it cycles.

G~

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to start with base rock, but I don't want a piece of solid rock that will soak up Phosphates and limit water flow. What base rock do you use Geoff?

If I chose to buy uncured rock, my intention was to pressure wash it thoroughly and then cook it for about a month before using it to cycle my tank.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Ideal rock"? As porous as possible. After that, it all comes down to preference. Haitian rock doesn't seem to be as porous but some people prefer the looks of it. In the end, you have to look at it everyday so it has to be something you enjoy looking at. The best rock in the world isn't any good if you can't stand the sight of it.

Yes, looks aside, which rock would you say has the most porosity?

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Probably Fiji across the board. You can find porous rock from anywhere but across the board, probably fiji. As for solid rock soaking up phosphates, the only way it won't soak them up is if its already loaded with phospates to begin with. The idea with base rock is that you cook it to purge it of all PO4, and you don't pay premium prices for it. After 6 months to a year, its all going to be live anyway.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there such a thing as Base Figi rock? I'm confused as to what base rock is exactly. I know it is dry and dead, but where does it come from?

I would prefer base rock so that I know what I'm putting into my tank, however, I'd rather have a more natural rock that allows for better flow and filtration.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on quitting smoking, OneDummHick. It is a disgusting addiction that I gave up 2.5 years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. I notice all kind of benefits aside from the health and wellbeing, like, much less ashy dust in your car, no bad breath in the morning (unless I'm sick), the thoughts in your mind about needing a smoke when you can't have one...gone, clothes smell better, food tastes better... I highly recommend quitting for everyone that smokes, and if you don't smoke, I highly recommend starting so you can quit!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
For dry rock, check out the Marcorock "Key Largo" rock. It looks really nice and is partially purged from what they say. You will also spend less on it and get more rock for the money.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think I like to buy some dry Fiji rock. Actually I had a thought to buy the rubble if macrorocks had it in stock. My idea was to spend a Saturday gluing the pieces into interesting forms that could be stacked in such a manner that would create a nice aquascape. If I were to do this what should I use to assemble them?

I'd prefer marine epoxy sticks because of it would be easy to work with and strong. Is there a risk for toxicity once cured? My second option was silicone, which I know to be harmless once cured, but It would take a long time and not too strong. Thirdly, I thought to try gorilla glue. However, I never heard of anyone trying it.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Are you talking about gluing enough rubble together to fill a 180???

The nice thing about Marco rock is you can make special request rock orders. If you want 100 lbs of rock but only want 2 rocks, they will do it.
http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14

Aquascaping a large tank is so much easier with big pieces of rock. Here is my 150g after initial setup, it is 100% Marco rock. There are only 10 rocks in there.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks great and I may look into a large Tonga Shelf if they have it in stock... But my idea with the rubble was to create a very open tangled web unlike any natural rock. I would start with a small box of about 15lbs and see how it works out. If it doesn't look cool, then I'm only out $30 or so. The problem is they are out of Figi and Tonga rubble for the moment.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I have seen what their Fiji rock looks like now... it's nothing like the stuff I bought from them a couple years ago. Trust me, you will want the Largo rock instead.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But the Largo rock appears to be made of fossilized sand or impacted sediment. Although it looks nice I'm not sure it's as good as dead coral and coralline.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
when i setup my tank again i used the LR from the previous setup. the LR had been sitting out on the deck for the 7 months i was in Ireland. it still had some phosphates in it, but all of the bad critters i was dealing with from the previous setup were gone. I HATE RAZOR CALEURPA!

G~

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hate is a strong word Geoff. Repeat after me... Gooooosefraba...

I do like the look of Key Largo Rock, but if you look closely, it is not the same as Figi, Tonga, Marshall, whatever... Although it's full of holes, I'm afraid the actual substance isn't as porous as dead Coral and Coraline layers.

But please someone correct me if I'm mistaken. It is only my observation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts