The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
I posting this thread because I'm feeling very overwhelmed over my tank.
150 gallon
12 ranging from 6 - inches most under 4 inches
plenty of lr and ls
20 gallon sump with ls and lr
3 ph
1 510 hang on aquaclear with lr
1 coralife 220 protein skimmer.
mh 2 175 watt with 15000k less than a month old
I joined the trt about a month ago it was a last resort for lowering my nitrates. My tank had been a fowlr until Nov when I decided to ad coral. I bought some mushroom and polyps. They did so well I bought a Brian and torch. They did great so I bought some zoos.
After a few weeks I noticed my torch and brain weren't looking good so I did water changes more often to no avail. Thats when a Friend said I bet your nitrates are high. I bout a test and he was right. I tried a few products that calmed to reduce nitrates and they didn't. I lost my brain and my torch. I had no where to turn so I looked on line and stumbled across trt. :thumbup: I found a place where I could ask all the questions I wanted to ask and get great answers. I was very happy. I was hoping to save my green zoos. I removed all my bio balls sponges bought a new skimmer bought a ro unit and have done 4 20gallon water changes over the past 2 weeks. My nitrates are still over 40ppm. I was chatting with one of the many great members here at trt. I find out I need to test my alkaline. I thought as long as my ph was correct(8.2) I was fine. I really don't know why I'm posting other than my partner doesn't want to hear about it any more and I'm at my wits end. I can not believe how much more goes into a reef tank over a fowlr tank.Whew I had no idea. I'm wondering If I should just stick with mushroom and polyps? they seem to be happy in my tank. I have no idea why the green zoos are dieing and not the orange. I know my goby picks at the green all day he thinks its his own personal salad bar I think. I will prob go get an alk test tomorrow and if its way off just keep what I have and go back to fowlr and a few corals.
If you read all of this thank you!
Patrick:cry:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
just keep your chin up patrick, it can be over welming when its just one thing after another, but patience will prevail, and in a few more months, youll look back and wonder why you were worrying, just stick it out, follow the great advice of TRT's finest. and you should pull through.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well alkilinity is the buffering capacity or the ability of the salt water solution to resist changes in PH>
I heard TOm say once that A large ammount of detridus could affect the alkalinity.

Suck out poo with your water changes if not already doing so

as spanky says pick up a (perferibly sialfert) alk test kit and come running back with the results to us... well help you straighten things out!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
You say you have enough LR how much do you have?For a 150,you should have 225 to 300 lbs of rock!For that many fish you need close to 300.And what do you feed and how much?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the lr over a year period so I didn't keep track. I posted pix and everyone seemed to think it was enough. My tank is 6 ft long it goes from end to end and half way up. There is a small pic of my tank on my posting. I use to feed my fish twice a day but now I feed them 3 x a week. I feed mostly formula 1 and 2 flake and every now and then frozen food but the frozen is maybe once a month.
Thanks everyone for all the good thoughts and support

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Patrick, I think that all of us have lost a coral (or two or three or...) and felt the agony of it. Personally I go through the phases of grieving - isn't it something like denial, anger, bargaining, guilt, and acceptance? Feeling overwhelmed by a reef tank is probably a common occurence, but I think it drives us to be better "reefers" - we learn and develop our skills. Perhaps it's better to lose one or two specimens early on if it will keep us from having a full tank crash later. I have learned so much from TRT since I had my first reef tank a few years ago. I thought I was doing good with it, I was fragging corals and everything was growing, but then unexpectedly, the tank crashed. I know now that it was due to problems with the sand bed and to bubble algae (which I first thought was really cool). I have also learned from TRT why my tangs kept dying. I'm rambling here, but my point is that you're not alone and things will get better. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Im feeling better already. I will go tomorrow and get the test for alk and see where I'm at. All of you here at trt are really great people!

·
I got brains!!
1,523 Posts
You will get there. I had simliar problem with losing some fish in the earlier stages and was frustrated. Well after letting the tank mature more my tank is doing great. Just get some testing done and do water changes and the nitrates should lower.

Good luck and keep your chin up :thumbup:

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Hi Patrick,

Hang in there... first of all, from my experience, our FO/LR was always very high in the nitrates dept. Always. Those "aggressive non-reef fish" ate like pigs and put out the waste.

Our reef, on the other hand, had very low to none phospates and nitrates, but when feeding was too much, the nitrates began to climb. They hit something like 40 or 60 and we started losing sps and lps corals, such as you've experienced. Very sad. :( We cut the feeding WAY down, and eventually the nitrates fell to zero again. Water changes helped, of course, but we had to quit putting stuff in there that created the problem... that stuff being lots of food.

Nitrates never bothered our zoos or soft corals, only the sps / lps corals.

Looking at your tank photo... looks to me like you have enough rock.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone. It's 3am and have been tossing and turning. If my alk is off how do I correct it?. Should I bring some water with me?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
there are several fs around but only one has salt. It doesn't' open until noon. I will call the 2 closer ones but I doubt them having the test kits. I will be waiting at the doors when the other one opens. Wiskey I can't thank you enough for the private msgs! Everyone here has been so great Thank You All!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm thinking you should put some chaeto (a macro algae) in if you can fit it in the sump or aquaclear and get a light on there to help control nitrates.
I feel your pain. I have 2 beautiful tanks with alot of corals and then theres the 150 lol. My 150 has high nitrates also cuz it has a wet/dry and I can do 30 gal water changes and it doesnt seem to put a dent in it.
Thats the problem with a big tank.
I myself would like to change my sump and add some chaeto.
Your on the right track though. I don't think 40 nitrates is that high either my 55 used to run at 40 sometimes and it did'nt affect my softies and LPS. Below 20 is better though.
I would also siphen the detritis out of the sand everytime you do a waterchange as the above poster said.
I think to lower the nitrates more you need to do bigger waterchanges at once.

Good Luck!

PS. Ive had salwater for 29 yrs now and never really understood alkalinity lol. My PH has always been 8.3 or 8.4 and when I did test the alk it was normal on the test kit.
My corals do good so I never worried about it.

kass

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks
Ive been up most of the night worrying about my tank. I think this should be on that thread about how you know your over doing with reef keeping. I've decided to buy the test kit take all the test and post the results. I really feel bad for my corals esp the 3 leathers I have. My toadstool doesn't look like the ones Ive seen posted here. It never has those bumps on it. I guess all I can do is my best to save them. Kass03 I had chaetomorpha in my sump with a 24 watt light. After a cpl of months it turned to mush. I just removed it last week. I really don't know what happened to it or why it rotted like it did.
Thanks spanky Andy John loverotties hng dwight shirleym whiskey three90s&125sump Kass03 and casey

1 - 20 of 39 Posts