The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have read thru twitter's extreme b.b. thread and saw the pics that whiskey posted of the japanese tanks ( thanks alot whisk ! i guess if your not going to be tweaking your tank anymore , ya might as well spread your disease to someone else :lol: ) . well these tanks intreged me so i got to thinking about doing something simular .
so what i would like to do is to make a mound that will sit on- top of the starboard ,the highest part would be in the middle(say around 3 ")than slowly slope it down to maybe a 1/4" around the whole perimeter .
the idea behind it is so any detritus will roll to the edges .
in this mound i will ceate small pockets so the corals can be epoxied down and any holes not used can easily be epoxied over .
i am thinking about making this "mound" into three pieces so it can easiliy be put the tank and removed if necessary with the corals mounted . i figure i can make the mound one solid piece and slice the sections once it starts to set up . this way the three sections will butt up nicely once in the tank .
are you all still with me on this !
i will be pulling all the live rock out except for maybe one piece that that my monti cap is on but i think i will still cut the rock down some . i may have to chip off a few small pieces of rock to keep a couple of the acros in tact but other than that all the live rock is gone !
i will be removing all softies except for my capnella tree and one small leather and most of the zoos will be gone also . and bye -bye to the xenia !
so basically i want to create a live bare bottom :agree: . i think that once it matures it would look really nice .

so heres where i need the input ! first what can i use to make the mound ? cement ? morter mix ? and would any of these be safe ! would they release lime or phosphate into the water , or can i take the completed piece(s) and submerge it in a tub of salt water for a couple of weeks to let these substances leach there way out ?

do you see any problem with removing the rock all at once ? i will not be doing a complete drain of the tank water ,just enough to siphon out any detritus and replace what water was displaced by the live rock .

if any of you see anything about someone making their own rock would you please post the link .

thanks everyone ! :)

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whiskey what did you use to make them ?
do you think that what you used contributed to the algae ?
i thought i remember reading somewhere not to use concrete because it will fall apart in s.w. after an extended time !
there has to be something that is safe to use and won't load the tank up with phosphates !

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leverage Lad said:
I don't care about the rock. (though it is cool)..... But look at that clam!! :bigeek:That thing is huge :worm: :blob::agree:
i think that that was whiskey's old tank , i believe it was a 20 something gal. which would make just about anything look big !:clown:

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a twin to whiskeys !

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
gwaco said:
whiskey what did you use to make them ?
do you think that what you used contributed to the algae ?
Ok, here is the thing. I used portland cement and a larger sized araganite sand to make them. I don't think this would cause the algae, but the problem is that I used sand that had been in the bottom of my 50G reef for 2 years soaking up phospate! If you are going to do this make sure you get fresh sand not used sand!

The "sand" I used was probably about 2-3 MM in diamater.
i thought i remember reading somewhere not to use concrete because it will fall apart in s.w. after an extended time !
there has to be something that is safe to use and won't load the tank up with phosphates !
I did not have the problem with them comming apart, however the tank had a sand bed anyway, so it is possible that I didn't notice, one thing you could do is build your mound in this mannor then coat it in epoxy to "seal" it.

If you do this though remember that you have to soak these rocks in fresh water for a while unitl you can let it sit overnight and the PH remains under 8.5, at first they will drive your PH very high. You will probably need to soak it for about a month changing the water daily.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
gwaco said:
i think that that was whiskey's old tank , i believe it was a 20 something gal. which would make just about anything look big !:clown:
Not my old tank, my nano tank, this is the one I did the "conversion" thread on, people lost intrest though after it was setup.

It is a 15 gallon, though the clam is big, it looks allot bigger when you put it in a tank with the dementions 24*12*12.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Leverage Lad said:
I don't care about the rock. (though it is cool)..... But look at that clam!! :bigeek:That thing is huge :worm: :blob::agree:
Thanks, it grew allot in that tank, I got it at a little over an inch, with a gigas, and they both got far to big for the tank. The Gigas I traded, and the Derassa is now in my 50.

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
use epoxy for the bottom. mix it at least 3 to 1 Southdown to epoxy. than pour it into what ever shape you want to using a mold. you can use wax paper as a mold releas agent, the epoxy does not stick to this at all.

when i rebuilt my tank this is what i did. it not only looks pretty good, but is fairly flexible so it can be molded a bit when done. it also only has a 48 hour cure time. no need to wait for weeks for it to pH down. a bit expensive if a huge area is needed, but not horrendous.

G~

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats a great idea geoff , looks great ! the only thing is i don't see how i could get the hump i'm looking for , since the epoxy will be like syrup when you mix it . i need it to be higher in the middle and slope to maybe a 1/4 " by the time it reaches the perimiter . do you think it would stick to visqueen(sp.) if not i could make a mold , pour the epoxy on it and depending on how tight i have it pulled , the weight of the epoxy should make the middle thicker than the edges . the other thing is do you think it can be cut ( for the three sections i need ) and drilled so i can make mounting holes for the corals once its hardend or will it be to brittle and just chip ?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
You could do the diy rock, then seal it completly with Geoff's epoxy. This way you would not need to wait for the rock to cure, because no water would ever touch it.

Another thing you could do is buy some cheap sand, get it a little wet, make a mold of what you want to do and pour Geoff's epoxy mix in the mold.

Whiskey

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wiskey said:
Very nice, do you have any specs on this tank? From the fishload I take it that this is not a Nano ;), but a peice of your large tank.

Thanks,
Whiskey
not a nano , but not very large either ! its a 75 gal .
i did a pretty lenghty write up in the tank section on it , even though most of the pics have dropped off , the text is still there ! heres an older shot of the whole tank , i just can't seem to get a really good pic of it any closer , unless im right on the glass ..

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wiskey said:
You could do the diy rock, then seal it completly with Geoff's epoxy. This way you would not need to wait for the rock to cure, because no water would ever touch it.

Another thing you could do is buy some cheap sand, get it a little wet, make a mold of what you want to do and pour Geoff's epoxy mix in the mold.

Whiskey
i'm not concerned with having any type of sand look to it , in fact since goeff mentioned how shiny ( slick) the cured epoxy is this maybe be just the ticket ! besides after a few months it would be covered in coralline anyways . :agree:

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wiskey said:
Very nice, do you have any specs on this tank? From the fishload I take it that this is not a Nano ;), but a peice of your large tank.

Thanks,
Whiskey
i did a bump in the tank specs whisky ! i'm to dumb to figure out how to cut and paste the thread .:(

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
depending on the amount of sand in the mix it might not be shiny. if you do the mold idea the top surface is what will be shiny the underside will actually look like perfectly laid sand. it really is quite amazing.

it is dense but fairly easily cut when cured. it is really difficult to describe the way it behaves. it holds it shape, but is flexible. i was able to fold it to put it in the tank, yet it flattened back down to its original shape. you should be able to drill holes in it no problem.

i think making a mold with the internal dimensions of the tank and filling it with sand in an inverse of what you are looking for than placing a sheet of wax paper over the sand to keep the epoxy from trying to incorporate this new sand into itself, it does this quite well by the way. then pour it in there.

i think you will be amazed out how it looks and behaves.

G~

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
gwaco said:
i did a bump in the tank specs whisky ! i'm to dumb to figure out how to cut and paste the thread .:(
Cool, that is what I was getting at. For a second there I thought you had setup an nano tank, then I saw all the fish and realised it was a closeup of your big tank.

Thanks,
Whiskey

1 - 20 of 23 Posts