The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's official. I was bitten by the saltwater bug again. It had been invading my brain over the last month or so, and when my neighbors put their 30 gallon long with stand on the curb, it was screaming my name so I asked if I could have it and they said yes. so now its set up with some crushed coral and texas holey rock. I am making my fish list. I am going to take it REAL slow and EASY and K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid), NO lighting (normal output), easy fish and inverts (snails shrimp and crabs), no coral. I want a low stress (for me) (well, the fish too!) relaxing tank that I won't worry and obsess over. It's just not in my nature so we will see how relaxing it stays.

Here are my fish that I have listed that I need to choose a few from:

firefish
clownfish
6line
yellow tail damsel
bicolor blenny
coral beauty
banggai cardinal
zebra dart goby
yellow or blue assessor
royal gramma
engineer goby

I know these are not all compatible with each other. I suppose it will just come down to the luck of the draw (what the LFS has in stock) and build around that.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My tank will be a sorry underachievement to many of you guys' tanks (and even my own former tanks) but it will be fun and satisfying (it WILL be FUN and SATISFYING...it will be fun and satisfying....won't it?! I won't have ich plagues, or fish who go on hunger strikes, or lose my coolest fish to carpet surfing, or go crazy to the sound of trickling water, begrudgingly top off the tank, worry during power outages, drag my feet for water changes....will I?????? AAAAHHHHHH!) I love to torture myself!

:D

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
My tank will be a sorry underachievement to many of you guys' tanks (and even my own former tanks) but it will be fun and satisfying (it WILL be FUN and SATISFYING...it will be fun and satisfying....won't it?! :D
How can it ever be an underachievement if its fun, satisfying, and exactly what YOU want from it?

Have fun with it, if you don't, then it becomes the underachievement :)

·
Administrator
46,890 Posts
Hi Erin :wavey: , does this mean the BRW is kickin back into high gear ;)
Welcome Back :D

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Here are my fish that I have listed that I need to choose a few from:

firefish
clownfish
6line
yellow tail damsel
bicolor blenny
coral beauty
banggai cardinal
zebra dart goby
yellow or blue assessor
royal gramma
engineer goby

I know these are not all compatible with each other. I suppose it will just come down to the luck of the draw (what the LFS has in stock) and build around that.
firefish ~
Humm Girly/Manly fish they are cool but i would stick with the others they love flying.
clownfish ~
What kind ? i would add these guys last theo.
6line ~
i would hold off for a few months on this one but they are cool also.
yellow tail damsel ~
Mean little ~Blank~ we will leave it at that lol
bicolor blenny ~
always fun
coral beauty ~
Repeat yellow or blue assessor :)
banggai cardinal ~
i am not so hot on these guys but its just me .
zebra dart goby ~
Cool ! Yes !
yellow or blue assessor ~
Dont know what these are :lol:
royal gramma ~
Are Photo Sensitive and hate bright lighting so since you are going to have NO then i would go for a pair of these .
engineer goby ~
Gets to a foot long !

Theose are my Thoughts on your list :)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks. Yeah I just put the engineer gobies on there to see if y'all were on top of things ;)

Should have said Naso Tang.

blue assessor, pretty cool fish:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.marinecenter.com/media/photos/D8C376084D894D89889564A9F6347A4E.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/basslets/blueassessoraustralia/&h=250&w=400&sz=44&hl=en&start=1&um=1&usg=__-lQuW_MhPih_IJ3HT2QJPl5q55w=&tbnid=NdBMhrb9fQqzoM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblue%2Bassessor%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

MY list is (in order of introduction)
clownfish (in one month)
bicolor blenny (in two to four months after algae starts to grow)
sixline wrasse (after four months)
coral beauty (after six months, unless I find the PERFECT specimen--lots of orange, like in my avatar-- and then will supplement with algae products)

My husband doesn't care for any of the fish I like; he likes the firefish, banggai cardinal (added last), zebra dart goby pair, neon goby. That'd be a nice peaceful setup. MIGHT consider his input. However, I do all the work so I get first dibbs! :)

and some hermit crabs maybe. little friendly ones (hah.)

I am going to add in some actual live rock at some point (probably this weekend get a couple pieces of cured stuff). For now a couple pieces of the holey rock will get me started.

I need to keep telling myself, "Slow and right beats fast and wrong!"

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
The only thing that comes fast in a reef tank is disaster. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
27,089 Posts
Erin!!!!!! It's great to see you here.

"Slow and fast beats fast and wrong"

Looking forward to seeing your project as you go along.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Doug said:
Hi Erin
, does this mean the BRW is kickin back into high gear
I guess we'll see Alice start posting again on a regular basis, too!!!

I miss the BWR's

:D

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why, did Alice have a break from SW too and is just getting back in??

(sheepishly) Yeeeah,,....I'm a little embarrassed to post a pic of my empty tank right now with no live rock, just crushed coral (easy to siphon dirt out of!) and texas holey rock and fake resin rock. If you encourage me and promise not to laugh, I might oblige.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
(sheepishly) Yeeeah,,....I'm a little embarrassed to post a pic of my empty tank right now with no live rock, just crushed coral (easy to siphon dirt out of!) and texas holey rock and fake resin rock. If you encourage me and promise not to laugh, I might oblige.
You have never seen pics of my emtpy tanks then :) I have more pics of them empty than with water in them. Besides, if you don't post pics, we will just call you chicken until you do!

As for the engineer goby, mine is 12" long while he isn't stretched out. The biggest thing with them isn't the length though. If you have one, you better make sure the rocks are sitting on something besides the sand.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I can't be called a chicken.

I promise that it will slowly morph into something better and more natural looking as time goes on though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Welcome back, I recently came back, like a bad penny, I missed this place. and now I really miss my tank. I have been told no new tank unit we move. so that is on the back burner until after the first of the year. until then I will enjoy everybodies build threads and other things that happen here.

I like the simple setup, I was going to sneak in a nano but was told no.

good luck tank your time. LOL

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bu-Cooooock! bwaaak bwaaak BUH-COOOOCK! (chicken impression)

fchidsey, I'd take that as a challenge to see what the tiniest pico tank you can set up would be! a 1/2 gallon in a windowsill with a little turd of LR, chaeto and hermit crab? SURELY, that doesn't ACTUALLY count as a tank?! :D Besides, do you always do what you are told??

(so fun playing Devil's advocate!)

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I like the looks of the 30, so far. The rocks give the fishies places to hide in. As for doing what I am told, me personally, I don't think it's in my best interest to honestly answer that question :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts