The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After setting up a side drilled tank and a bottom drilled tank this weekend I have decided that it is not woth the work to drill the side of the tank. Even with a T on the out put it still makes a little noise. And when you consider that I had to pay fo the hole and the overflow box, I think it is worth getting a tank that is drilled by the manufacturer.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
748 Posts
You need to reduce return pump output or use bigger holes and tubes. I have almost no noise from my side drilled.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd prefer the larger overflows to the side onse that make shade and dont handle as much flow. I use a durso and I can get it pretty quiet, but I feel that it's just not the same.
I used a T where the piping goes from horizontal to the ground to vertical. I have a cap that is drilled on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's a good picture where you can see how it should be setup. In the pic, it's on an overflow but it would be the same if you put it into a side drilled tank.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tHATS HOW i HAVE IT SET UP, EXCEPT FOR THE 90 degree angle inside the box. sorry about the caps.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
did you oversize the durso? for instance... if your bulkhead is say a 1" you sould be using 1 1/4" or larger "T" and pipe going up and down for ar least a little ways if not the whole drain.

·
Registered
408 Posts
i dint have any noise from my side drilled tank9 when i had it) i had 1" pvc for input to the sump and a mag 12 w/ 3/4 to the tank and not very much noise

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
You need the 90 inside the box to control the air flow. IMO: More of a design flaw with your overflow that contributed to the noise and not a matter of the hole being on the side.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
yup I know for sure you need to go up at least one pipe size but Jerry is probably right that a 1.25" is going to be the ticket to make it as silent as possible.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
1.5 is a pretty common size, the price of stuff goes up exponentially AFTER that. I do 1.5 on everything possible. even my 17 gallon grow outs :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts