The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently don't add anything except phytoplankton and do regular water changes. I am going to buy some Kent Calcium today. Any suggestions on one or two more vital additives. I want to keep it simple.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is your Ca below ~400ppm or do you have a tough time maintaining a certain level? If you don't and want to keep it simple, I would just continue doing WC's.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
I don't add anything, I have a Ca reactor but that is to maintain my sps and football sized, and other, clams.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you tested your Cal? Always check b4 you dose.

Jay

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
if your adding kalk then yeah your adding "something" lol

i add calcium and alkaline builder by seachem and iodide once in awhile

not sure if your including carbon etc on the list, but i use carbon and phoszorb on one tank and chemipure only in an other tank.
i used to add phyto and all those othe corals feeds until it nearly destroyed my tank

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have never photo fed any of my softies. I squrit my polyps with mysid now and then but thats about it

·
Registered
307 Posts
the key to reef success is consistant waterchanges, consistant feedings, consistant parts cleaning, consistant lighting, consistant waterflow, consistant heating, and on and on.

by "consistancy" I'm talking about following a routine schedule planned out on a CALENDAR. You plan what you going to do on a calendar day by day by day and follow it to the "T"

sidenote: I also have a discus tank and fell into the trap of adjusting pH adding this&that to simulate the amazon river.... i lost 2-3 discus at $50-75 a piece messing around with the water quality. for the last 1.5 years all I do is a weekly WC with just plain old tapwater that comes thru a wholehouse filter and then gets softened by a salt-based watersoftener and then gets dechlor'd with PRIME. I ahve no idea what my pH is or any of that junk. I HAVE NOT LOST ONE DISCUS SINCE JUST LEAVING THE WATER ALONE.

Sometimes you can just OVERDO these things....waste money.... and acidentially kill corals and fish

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I am quoting someone on this, but alot of suppluments contain heavy metals that:

when overdosed can cause BIG problems
When really overdosed can be catostofic

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
:D

Just tagging along.

btw, ca reactor (so I add aragonite and CO2) , once a week target feed the LPS and the anemones, once a week strip or two of nori algae (remove what is left after 1 hr), and once a week 10% wc, period.

...everything else is to improve export.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Wiskey said:
I don't and won't use phyto, it is pure phospate. I use CA, ALK and MAG for my tank, anything else is taken care of by water changes.

Whiskey
yep stay away from that phyto stuff
unless you want "Algae bloom in a bottle"
:lol:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
When needed, I dose Seachems Reef Complete and occasionally also dose Reef Trace & Reef Plus. I also dose a couple capfuls of Seachem Stability with every water change.

If you have a tank that rapidly depletes calcium/mag. or has a low PH or alk. or some other issues then water changes alone will not be sufficient unless you are doing huge and very frequent water changes according to the tables and charts I've read. For example, some people think that a 5% or 10% water change each month will be sufficient to replenish and mantain all necessary water parameters but if your tank is quite low on something then this alone will not work.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
If I could only have 3, it would be....

1. Kent SuperBuffer dKh
2. Kent Micro-Vert
3. Kent Tech-M

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
HowardW said:
...some people think that a 5% or 10% water change each month will be sufficient to replenish and mantain all necessary water parameters but if your tank is quite low on something then this alone will not work.
I have HEAVY hermatypic populations with good coloration and do not supplement ANY chemical additives outside the use of 10% water changes every 14 days and use of a Ca reactor using aragonite and CO2 in any of the systems here. In a way, this may be actually supplementing with additives, as the aragonite is composed of coral skeletons, so any spplements needed would be there in perfect ratio with the calcium and carbonate as they dissolve...

Photo courtesy Autochek

Since the advent of good reliable ASW mixes, I have NEVER used ANY chemical additives outside this and an occasional adjustment of either Ca+ or HCO3- with one of the two part additives (eithe Kent A + B or B-ionic) in more than 20 years of successful reefkeeping. Prior to that, I had to make my ASW mixes, so that period does not count. The use of WC on a regular one to two week schedule with appropriate husbandry of the systems has been sufficient to maintain good growth and development. I have some corals that have been kept in captivity for more than 20 years (exact dates prior to that are guesses) and have pretty much become products of that captivity, so in a way these are products of Darwinian selection for captive conditions, and are quite hardy as a result.

I am sure that bringing specimens directly from the wild have their own issues with adapting to captive conditions, but I do not see that this is an issue based on some unknown element requirement based on trace amounts present in seawater (the MB literature supports this POV). There is a reason why they are called trace elements, and although the purveyors of the MULTITUDE of trace element products on the market would have you THINK OTHERWISE, these elements are NOT growth limiting substances in the concentrations found in seawater. See the Millero textbook in the chapter on Chemical Odceanography on the issues surrunding these substances and growth limitations for referenced support of this position. They are found in seawater in many many many times the concentrations necessary for NGD for coral specimens, as well as in many of the ASW mixes on the market that approach or duplicate natural seawater concentrations.

All you really need is adequate light intensity, duration and color; Ca and alk, proper salinity, and appropriate current supplemented with regular water changes to support good growth and development. The use of the additional trace additives goes back to an era when we DID need to use these products because there was no reliable pre-made ASW mix on the market.

Not intended as a flame to anybody, I just hate to see misinformation allowed to perpetuate on the 'Net when the evidence and experience of successful systems indicates otherwise.

Hope this "clears the waters" on this topic :D

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Beautiful looking tank tdwyatt! Not sure if you were referring to my quote as misinformation, but it is a mathematical fact that small infrequent water changes will not replenish severly depleted ratios of calcium or anything else to normal levels. I only mention this because I hear some people say they do 5-10% monthly water changes so they do not ever have to dose anything to keep perfect water parameters which I believe is incorrect if their tank is depleting something at a rapid pace.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts