The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sand that is. I keep having to skim out the red algae and the top layer of sand when I do my water changes. Soon I'll have no sand bed. I am hoping when I get my maxi-jet pumps in maybe I will get rid of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Having the same problem booboo...it is annoying...I think it is all tied to over feeding...

I have a lot of flow...I know some spots are missed, but there can't be good flow over every inch of sand...it is just not possible.

I am thinking about trying the wave 2k again because I think it will put good flow all over the bottom of the tank...I am not sure though

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
try a bullet goby. I had the same problem upped my flow skimmed wetter and got a bullet goby oh yeah I cut back on feeding. The bullet goby does a GREAT job of keeping the sand clean. He however can be a pain with spitting sand on the corals. The corals don't seem to mind but I do. I wonder if they get some kind of food from the sand he spits on them?

·
Golden Shellback
1,281 Posts
Yeah...I think the directions say to turn the skimmer off for 48 hours and do a 20% water change before turning it back on. Have you ever seen a remora skimmer overflow in 3 minutes?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
No but I would trun my skimmer off anyways and probably go clean it cause im sure it needs it all the time :)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Yeah...I used it, it works great for a month or so...but you have to make sure to turn the skimmer off and actually you are supposed to add an air stone to the tank as well...then do a 20% water change.

·
11,345 Posts
...which IMO is most likely what you need to do if the sand has reached this point.
Steve
This is a good point.

If there is no improvement no matter what you do husbandry wise, this very well might be the easiest and best course of action

It might save you some time and headaches to simply remove the sand that youve got entirely and either start fresh with all new sand or go BB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts