The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:freak: I have this little 20 gallon glass tank that is a coral sanctuary tank. All pieces caught in the fishing nets here in the Philippines. My plan is to help start a reef inthe area right at the end of our property.

Anyways, I have a small piece of Brain Coral with these brown things sticking out of the Brain Coral. And then a Black creature that had to be a hitchiker from whey I saw the piece and took it so it doesnt just fry in the Sun.

Now these brown protusions which at first thought it might be stingers that come out at night. But then I started seeing tentacles that are metalic black like and looks like the Sea Urchin like tentacles coming from inside the brown protusions almost like a feather duster would when those tentacles jumps back in the brown protusions, it happens really quick like a polyp would do if it senses anything. Then startes to come out again like a feather duster would do. Now all this happens at night when only actinic lights are on. Including the brown protrusion goes back inside the Brain Coral until night time. There are a lot of these things coming from inside the Brain Coral that comes out at night. The Brain Coral is supposed to look teal blue with a rope like border around the polyp. The color has not changed since I got it. Just a drab greenish color and I dont think its dead because I dont see any part of the skeleton. I wish I could get pics of them but its hard to because of low light and if I used the flash from my camera that black creature would already jumped back in the brown color tube. Its kind of hard to explain but maybe someone knows what these things are. I am going to do a fw dip and try to see if anything comes out.The black tentacles look like a Sea Urchan but if anyone can help pleas let me know. Cause its driving me crazy. :nuts:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pics of Worms in my brain coral

Ok. Here are 3 pics showing what these little monsters look like. The one on the white paper is a closeup of these pest. I found one today coming out of the clam looking animal so there are spreading because the brain coral is at the end of the tank. So I got some tweezers from my wife's make me beautiful bag. It came out really easy. The tube like brown part is where the Sea Urchin like tentatals come out of. Then there is the body of the pest you see that is black and looks like a piece a rat poop.

Does anyone know what that piece that looks like an open clam is? Anybody know what that is? But I really need to find out what those worm looking things are, because now it is speading to other pieces like the piece I would like identified. I hope that its nothing to worry about. I am going to bed now. Its almost 2:00am . So please any help or advice on these worms would be a big help before they take over the tank. My guess is that worm munches on the polyp inside then put his tentacales out.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pics.

Here are a couple other pics. I really dont want to have to break down the tank and have to cycle again.

20 Gallon
Saltwater with live rock.
parameters: Nitrates: Almost 0
Ammonia None
Nitrites None

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
worms

Hey Geoff,
if you look at the brain coral pic you will see a brown almost wood looking thing sticking out on the right side of the brain coral.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
sorry, i just do not know. i can say that most flatworms and other worms tend to have very specific feeding requirements. i would just keep an eye on the areas where you find them and see if anything unwanted is happening.

it is not unusual to find odd hitchhikers on new LR for a few weeks after it goes in. in most case they tend to die off after a month because their food source is gone. i would just watch and see. i think it is to early to tell if they are harmful or just unlucky for them hitchhikers that are not in your system and will starve.

G~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts