The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. What is the 'ideal' (I use that term losely) turnover rate through your sump in a BB system?

Currently on my 120 I have a Mag 9 as the return that goes through a SCWD and up to the tank. There is probably 7-8' of head on it so I know its low... Give me some recommendations!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
whatever your skimmer is processing and no more. in an ideal system all of the water that leaves the tank will go through the skimmer and then back into the tank. the higher the flow through the sump the less likely the water will be skimmed to remove DOC's.

because of the high turnover rates we have in BB, the skimmer needs all the help it can get.

an example i have close to 7000gph of flow in my 125g. only about 600gph goes into the sump. i am about to put on an eductor driven skimmer powered by a Mag 12. i am guessing that it will process in the neighborhood of 500gph. it is a bit low, but i may jack it up to a Mag 18 to get it to match my sump turnover.

G~

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the skimmer I am running is a PM Bullet 2 powered by a Pan World 150-PS which I think may be a tad bit underpowered.

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
Good point; it makes sense that skimmer performance may be optimized by limiting your sump flowrate to your skimmer pump flowrate. However, with the headlosses associated with entraining air through a venturi, beckett, eductor (;)) or needlewheel impeller, how much water is your skimmer skimming?

BTW: How's is that new skimmer you brought to the picnic working out :D ?

- Michael

Geoff said:
whatever your skimmer is processing and no more. in an ideal system all of the water that leaves the tank will go through the skimmer and then back into the tank. the higher the flow through the sump the less likely the water will be skimmed to remove DOC's.

because of the high turnover rates we have in BB, the skimmer needs all the help it can get.

an example i have close to 7000gph of flow in my 125g. only about 600gph goes into the sump. i am about to put on an eductor driven skimmer powered by a Mag 12. i am guessing that it will process in the neighborhood of 500gph. it is a bit low, but i may jack it up to a Mag 18 to get it to match my sump turnover.

G~

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was told 3x by one of the folks that makes the RK2 skimmers - if you run all of your water through the skimmer first before it hits the sump. Any more than that, the skimmer will not be able to process the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts