The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its time to add some more clean up type critters to my 125...

when i setup the tank about a year ago i added about 40 snails and 4 fighting conchs...i also have a serpant star...i have 150#s of LR...

what else should i add to help keep the sandbed clean?...

i have been battling flatworms and a small case of cyano occasionally...i realize that this "crew" wont really help either problem, but i would like the DSB to be worked a little more than it is...:p

i have been staying away from all crabs (except my mexican staghorn hermit) for fear that they will do more harm than good...??

thanks

brad

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
scarlett hermits are really good. And I havn't heard anything bad about them. :) As for the flatworms, I have heard of a fish that likes to eat them, but don't recall what that fish was.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, for flatworms, ive heard people have luck with...

mandarins
6-line wrasse
yellow coris wrasse
green chromis
leopard wrasse, (i have one...he doesnt touch em)
Velvet Nudibranch, Chelidonura varians...

some work for some people, others dont...

i have heard that the red-legged hermits are "safe"...i think i may end up getting a couple...

what about sand cucumbers?...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmmm - is it the 6-line wrasse?

I could be wrong, but that's the fish that's jumping around in my mind after reading this thread.

Also, how about nassaurius snails? I've heard that they are awesome workers in the sb. They actually burrow themselves (much like your conchs probably).

I don't have any, and they are extremely difficult to come by here in Canada. But if I ever come across any, you can bet I'd grab 1/2 dozen to add to my cleaning crew!

HTH

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
hmm..please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I want to say there is a difference between a scarlett hermit, and a red-legged hermit. Anyone know anything?

Cucumbers are good, but and I always get confused on which does what, but I want to say that one draw back to the cucumber is that it ravishes the sandbed...fauna and all.

;) As you can tell with my not solid answers that I am a novice. heh heh Just trying to help.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't know their name, but they are the large '18 wheel' size snails. They clean the rock and sand bed nicely. I have a large purple star fish that eats algae pretty good also. I started with red-leg and blue-leg crabs they continue to thrive and are very hardy. I also have 3 sallylight foot crabs, not sure what they contribute. They just seem to molt alot. But I really like my horse shoe crabs. These guys are pretty good about cleaning the sand. I've heard about another cleaner called a sea biscuit. Not sure how hardy they are, never have seen one.

Check out the clean up crews on marine depot web page. This was how I started out my 155gal. Most of the critters are still doing very well after 7 months.

The ones I've had the hardest time with are those from my LFS. Those little pyrimid shape snails with the pointed shells, tip over and become crab food. Most of their shells have been taken over by crabs.

·
Super Moderator
28,085 Posts
oh ya, on nassarius snails!! They are really kewl to watch, don't need to have snail patrol (they can right themselves), and do a good job with your substrate. I used to have them when I first started out (cc substrate) and they worked really well there too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So...ahhh...

How much stirring of the sand bed did you want? Let me suggest my sand stirrer - I only have one that does a wonderful job on a 55 gal - A Tiger Pistol Shrimp (and a Randall's Goby).

What a sand stirrer :eek:

Of course, if you like your rockscaping as it is, this may not be the critter for you.

Daryl;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, heres a list of stuff im thinking about from www.etropicals.com

ive ordered from them before and was pleased...and if you order over $60 the shipping is free...

nassarius snails (50) @ $1.20
tiger tail cuke (1) @ 11.50
lettuce nudibranch (1) @ 4.75
atlantic cuke (2) @ 2.95

Total = $82.15 shipped

im staying away from crabs...even the scarlet and blue legs...thoughts on this?...

thanks

brad

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
thebigblue said:

im staying away from crabs...even the scarlet and blue legs...thoughts on this?...
brad
Brad,of the two , you should have no trouble with the red-legs.pretty docile towards the tankmates,(got'em in my tank) iheard stories of the blue legs yanking out astreas for their shell
since i got the new truck, i was thinking i might run down to Premium for some drygoods i need (fri/sat) i could possibly pick up livestock(red-legs) for you , if you or Scott want anything
not 100% on me going tho,,,,but likely,,,

·
Super Moderator
28,085 Posts
Hey Brad-

Thanks for the info on eTropicals. I've always used Premium Aquatics and they were 1st rate. But it's good to have some other options. And the free shipping with orders over $60 is attractive :D

Right now I have NO clean up crew but 1 pathetic scarlet hermit and a lonely snail (I have a 29). But I do need a janitorial service in there :funny: :funny:

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
thebigblue said:
jeff

according to the email update they send, they are open today from 11-3pm...

but closed tomorrow...

thanks though...:D

brad
Yup Brad,,,meant next weekend,,,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.