The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So wanting to get a Snowflake Eel and looking for some ideas as far as aquascaping/rock set up. I was thinking initially I'd try to maybe attach some rocks to some PVC pipes to make some good hiding places, and that way it'd be harder for the eel to knock things over. But I don't want the PVC to show through the rocks. Also don't want to deal with rocks being knocked over and cracking/breaking the glass or injuring the eel. Any ideas/examples?
Also, any advice on covering the tank, as I've heard they are excellent escape artists? We have glass covers but I don't think they'll work since they leave a small opening in the back for wires and such.
Appreciate any help!

· Registered
627 Posts
I've had my snowflake for over a year. It's never knocked any rocks over.. I did have it escape once. My fault. I left the lid open. It scared the S*** out of me when I almost stepped on it! I just put a PVC pipe in the back of my rock work.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be a good idea to try to glue the rocks to the pvc pipe(s)? Or just pile them around/over the PVC? How big a cave? Body length? What type of glue if I do use glue? More than one cave or one big continuous cave? I know I have a million questions but it's my first eel and I'm REALLY excited about it and want to do it right the first time..

· Salty Dog
1,044 Posts
Just provide it with a hiding space that is large enough for it to fit into. They will get into it. Also, they will find other hiding places to call home as well and this is something that you really cant contol. It always seemed that what ever I put in the setup for an eel, it would use everything but that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.