The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this anemone looking small softie polyp in February in this small piece of LR i got from the LFS. I have slowly seen it multiply and split. Today I have like 9 and possibly a 10th on the way. Im a proud papa! lol anyways... It does not seem to be bothering any other corals or fish and it does move to whereever they like but they mainly stick around in the same area..no pun intended... :) I really just want to know a name for these little critters. They are stripped colored which made me think they are not apstasias. Any ides people?

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
I can't be 100%, but I'm leaning toward Majano.

The second image looks like majano, but the other two images, it's hard to tell. I've only ever had 1 majano, and it looked like image 2 with the stumpy rounded tentacles.

IME, anything that multiplies that quickly is probably not a good thing, whatever it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks to your input I looked up pictures and it is identical to how they look both in day and night so my next question is...
What next? Everything in my tank is multiplying pretty good including my BTA and other polyps and feather dusters. So is it a harmful item? do i get rid of it?

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Majano anemones are bad for our tanks. There is a few things that reefers to do kill them.

You can
-throw out the rock
-take the rock off and kill them and wash the rock and wait a few weeks before putting the rock back in
-use a syringe to inject them with lemon juice
-make a tool to electrocute them

If you try to simply manually remove them, they will release gametes and they will spread across your tank and make your problem much more problematic.

·
Schroeder
1,149 Posts
Majano anemones are bad for our tanks. There is a few things that reefers to do kill them.

You can
-throw out the rock
-take the rock off and kill them and wash the rock and wait a few weeks before putting the rock back in
-use a syringe to inject them with lemon juice
-make a tool to electrocute them

If you try to simply manually remove them, they will release gametes and they will spread across your tank and make your problem much more problematic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh not good at all i have them in a few rocks and they have corals in them also so throwing out the rock is out of the question. water and electricity with my hand around just doesnt sound safe for me or the fish. I think my best bet here would be to put on the hazmat suit and go chemical warfare on this pest!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree on the majano. I had a couple for a while. After about two months of doing nothing there were about twenty. I also had a couple of aiptasia so I got some aiptasia-x. It came with a dull needle which worked ok on the aiptasia. got rid of them. The majanos it didn't work so well. I ended up getting a hypo needle from a doc friend of mine and used it to inject into the majano (pierced through the mouth if possible and if not through the side) Killed em quick. I do see one or two now every other month or so but I know how to kill them now. I like the aiptasia-x. I did see someone selling a tool for electrocuting them that worked pretty good in the video. didn't look like your hand went in the water. Good luck on whatever you try. The longer you wait thought the more of them there will be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts