The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flipped over a rock one of my mushrooms lives on today and found this reddish stuff covering the underside of the rock (see attachment for pic). Since I'm a novice, can you guys ID this for me? Is it bad red algae or just coralline? It seems to reddish to be coralline. It also grows in a mat and it's not fibrous.

If this is problem algae, how do I transfer my mushroom to another rock? Thanks!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
it looks like coraline algae which isnt bad for your tank but makes it look better in my opinion
and about removing your mushroom you might be able to rip it off or rub it off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
if you touch it and it doesnt come off its corline. If it is coming off then its slime algea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
are there some sponges that are red, i wouldnt think the coraline would grow out of the light like that.
 

·
ARC Member
Joined
·
707 Posts
Hmm- I disagree with everyone else here.... From the picture and the description, it looks like red slime algae (Cynobacteria) that forms when there's too little flow or nutrients are too high.

If you can slide it off with your fingers or it gets blasted off in the current, then it's most likely Cynobacteria. Coraline algae has a calcium base and is always rigid and ususally has to be scraped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
i have it on my tank too its encrusted on the rocks its only at the very top right next to the MH, From what I have read coraline grows different colors depending on how strong your lights are..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,082 Posts
Pillz said:
i have it on my tank too its encrusted on the rocks its only at the very top right next to the MH, From what I have read coraline grows different colors depending on how strong your lights are..

I also have some red coraline in my tank here and there. But by the way it looks on the rock under that one it just looks like cynobacteria by the looks. I guess we will have to wait for CGill311 to post and see if it is easily removed or encrusted.


Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From looking at it previously, it looked like it was solidly attached to the rock. In response to the above questions:

What kind of flow do you have in your tank? How often do you feed your fish? What are your levels at when you test them for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ca, Alk, pH, phosphates?

I have a Rio 6HF pump connected to a Hydor rotating outlet in my 24g nanocube. I feed my fish sparingly once each morning (pair of maroon clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 blue neon goby). Ammonia, NO2-, and NO3- are all zeros. pH = 7.8 - 8.0. Will check other params tonight.

When I get home tonight, I'll see if it rubs off (in a bucket just in case) and let you guys know the verdict. Thanks for all the help!
 

·
ARC Member
Joined
·
707 Posts
CGill311 said:
When I get home tonight, I'll see if it rubs off (in a bucket just in case) and let you guys know the verdict.
No need to put it in a bucket- cynobacteria is fairly harmless. Scoop it out of your tank if possible, but it's really no big deal if some gets away.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top