The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi can anyone tell me what this is, it started growing on a rock that has a few small mushrooms on it, the rock has been in the tank about a month and this just started to grow about a week ago- it might be some type of algae, but it seems more like some kind of bushy plant thingy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Here's a web page: http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/algae.html

It's hard to see what it really is in the pic. I agree with the bubble algae. Or, it almost looks like the Black Brush (Beard) Algae, because of it being tufted. But, I don't think it is. Bryopsis has frond branches... the pic looks more like a compact type of algae. Can you get a sharper image of it?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
is everyone ruling out mojano anenome? looks like two of them landed next to each other.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
That looks very much like a patch of bryopsis.

I can't find a pic I took a while back; but the individual "fronds" of bryopsis appear fern like.

If you figure it to be bryopsis, completely remove the rock, scrape and scrub it off, and replace the rock. Once this stuff gets established it's extremely difficult to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
is this what you have?

it is a type of bubble algae. do not know which kind though. :( the good news is that it is fairly easy to remove. when it gets big like in the pic you can pull on it and the whole clump will come off. it is not as fragile as the large ball bubble algae.

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts