The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this frag because I like the contrast of the polyps. Is it a fast grower?

Thanks,
Cherry

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
CAT;

Because of the single stalk, I'd say it's a Sinularia rather than a Lobophytum but other than to eliminate a few Sinularia such as S. elegans (Yellow Fiji-duh, that's a no brainer ;) ), S. notand (one of the leathers confused with "colt" corals) , S. brassica, and S. flexibillis-LOL, I love that name-(Rasta Leather) it's really hard to narrow it down to a species level. Maybe someone else here can give a more positive ID. Most all leathers show fast growth and very easy to frag.

And that one's cool looking! :)

Alice

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Well I was going to say "toad stool" coral in very simple terms but that's as far as I go with it!! Love those scientific names Alice!:p

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

The eight petals on the large polyps that scatter like that, plus the bumpy skin looks like a 'Devil's hand' (lobophytum pauciflorum) in one of my books, but this one is not growing 'fingers' :rolleyes:

I don't mind if it grows a little fast but hopefully not like a toastool :eek:

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
LOL....boy, is my face red! A little birdie pointed out to me that I was actually talking about *Sarcophyton* rather than *Sinularia. DOH!

That's what I get for posting in a hurry and yelling at the kids while I'm doing it (You two stop bugging your sister RIGHT NOW!)

Sorry for the confusion, CAT.

And thanks, TD ;)

Alice

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this mean we're getting closer? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.